StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Yeast Nutrients

2»

Comments

• edited February 2022

Apologies to the original poster I am conscious this is in the beginners section.

R

• No pissing contest, just shootin the shit.

• @rossco said: Looking at your gravity readings I recon you're figures match mine. You start 0.030 higher and finish the same amount higher, give or take. Yeast alcohol tollerance? Possibly you could delete the final step addition with no effect on output?

No, if I did not add the last addition of molasses, I would end up with a lower FG (maybe .005 lower without adding .030 of total increase?).

In some fermentations, the amount of FG above 1.000 (or 0.9xx really) is sugars that could have fermented but didn't, and in wine or beer that would be make sweetness and body, but in molasses fermentations they are non-sugars, non-fermentable 'crap' that is a byproduct of making molasses and is found in higher concentration the cheaper the molasses(less centrifuged). As I said, I do lose a little bit, maybe a point or two due to high gravity, but it is a trade off of spending more money on labor to make more batches of lower alcohol or getting 13% instead of 10% and doing 3 batches instead of 4... Anyone here can tell you a full days labor will pay for a ALL of the molasses in a 1000L batch, and then some... I strive for the best flavor, and then the best overall cost per proof-gallon of alcohol.

• Glucoamylase can sometimes eek just a little bit more out of blackstrap.