StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Loony bin and crazy ideas

Comments

• Six bucks so far.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited November 2013

2 probs LoO,

1. the diode you list is actually a bridge rectifier (4 diodes) .... need something like this: ZP 0.4" Male Thread Stud Mount Silicon Rectifier Diode 1200V 20A

2. the switch is only 2 position

still more than $2

• edited November 2013

bridge rectifier has 4 diodes, just use one of them.

5 x 3 Pin On/(On) 2 Position SPDT Monentary Rocker Switch 16A/250V 20A/125V AC

5 switches = $3.19

$0.638

• $1.24 for the bridge

$1.878

Switch can be used for Hi/low not off

use the switch on the power point for off...

• Lloyd you know the bolted end flanges for the Crystal Dragons. If you turned one upside down and used the bolt holes to secure it to a worktop, you could use it for a side mounted column.
    All you would need was an un-drilled bubble plate and a bit of tri clamp tube with two pulled outlets (vapour in/liquid out) and you have a base to go under a column.

Or has someone already done that?

• We made some custom pieces for table mounts, Lloyd has drawings of them somewhere. I never thought to photograph the 8" one that went out to support a second CD tower in Australia.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited December 2013

Found this in the old laptop. I figure the customer would need to complete the piping/plumbing unless they ordered a boiler, then the boiler factory could built a table or pedistals and complete the plumbing.

split_1.jpg
    200 x 448 - 20K
  • edited January 2014

Still Dragon beer font.... crazy?

DSC07184.jpg
    600 x 701 - 38K
  • edited January 2014

Been chasing @Lloyd up to source these for yonks. Don't need to reinvent the wheel though, there are many factories in China already producing 2 to 12 tap fonts with flooding and snaplocks.

• edited January 2014

More SD items for beer....

But maybe this is not a crazy idea?

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 85K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 100K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 88K
    4.jpg
    600 x 800 - 80K
    5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 87K
    6.jpg
    800 x 600 - 77K
    7.jpg
    800 x 600 - 86K
    8.jpg
    800 x 600 - 75K
    9.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K
    10.jpg
    800 x 600 - 86K
    11.jpg
    800 x 600 - 80K
  • edited January 2014

Let me know how good that shotgun works with some figures please. Did you use the torpedo just cause that's what you had or is there a reason for putting the window in there?

Why did you use the bag AND a filter screen? Do pellets make it past the screen? Love the modular thinking.

Would this be a bit neater and fit more hops, could be used as a randall too.

I could put this together for $135

hopback1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 77K
    hopback3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 83K

• edited January 2014

We'll see what the brewers think of it.

Some discussion was already taken and requests were made for a bigger gin basket style that could be used in the boil etc. I'll get some more specs going in this conversation here...

Hopback or Randall @ Brew Adelaide - Talk all things Beer

• @Law_Of_Ohms That hop rocket/ wort chiller is awesome lol

• edited January 2014

Today's addition of crazy ideas...

Does any know where to get 'something' that screws onto the electrical connection end? there is a thread but its not 2in and a different pitch then the other side...

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 63K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 62K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 59K
  • edited January 2014

@Law_Of_Ohms, for what it is worth, if you can't find out from a thread gauge or data sheet what they are - I would ignore the threads. Based on the proportions of the clamp to the element I would say to go up by 1 clamp size anyway.

I would just cut a copper plate to match the next size up ferrule, drill a hole and screw that element into the plate and then solder it in place.

Just sandwich the new copper mount into a set of ferrules and clamp it up. Its easy then to make an element guard to fit. Where did you source the element?

The only reason I ask is that some of the elements use an obscure old thread size that is actually Imperial Electrical Conduit. It harks back to the days when they used iron tubes as conduit for electrical cables.

Otherwise it could be an Imperial BSP thread.

• @Law_Of_Ohms Would you call using the shotgun as a wort chiller a success? What was your input temp into the shotgun? Thanks

On a different note, I was sitting at maccas today waiting for my fanta/coke spider and I noticed their auto postmix machine. Obviously it was linked to the point of sale as the different sized cups would drop onto the little conveyer and automatically fill and then move to the next station. Got me thinking how cool/lazy it would be to have a similar setup when doing cuts. But have it set to a timer or a flow rate to move along a bunch of jars.

Funnily enough, I can find a picture anywhere on the web of said postmix machine.

Crazy wild stuff :D

• You could do cuts with a thermometer or flow meter and a three way electric valve

• edited January 2014

I would be very interested in some temp figures on using the shotgun for a wort chiller Great idea @Law_Of_Ohms

• Has anyone thought of using a worm in the mash tun? Similar to a worm for condensing spirit but with water pumped through the worm to cool the mash

OD

• yes OD I have seen several immersion chillers built into the boil vessel

• edited January 2014

Worm it's what I use at the moment :D I would want it to be removable to clean on regulars intervals I find my immersion chiller collect A fair bit of hops matter after even just one beer brew day

• edited January 2014

Todays crazy idea.... (3D PDF model here)

Capture.JPG
    672 x 520 - 46K
    PDF
    PDF
    Assem6.PDF
    4M
  • @Lloyd,

you ever think of making these out of copper for the home builder to solder in more easily?

For builders, we have a Thermo Well Socket that can be welded anywhere you choose to monitor temps.

Thermo Well Socket

• A copper thermowell socket? I never thought of it but its a good idea.

• I thought you would like it sir.... :D

• edited January 2014

Surely due to the heat retention of copper it would give a false positive reading. A metal that retains the heat less will give a more accurate reading of temp changes.

OD

• copper would be easier for people to solder in... was the reason i asked... if the copper is thin would still have good readings ...

• You would think the better the conductivity the more accurate the reading leading right up to a bare probe being the best?

• you want to keep the thermal mass low and extend the probe INSIDE the pipe being measured.

• As you said, "That's what she said" but you are a freak and I have no idea what you're talking about most of the time, @Law_Of_Ohms.

Having lived a very sheltered life and I'm trying to follow along with your innuendos but the thermal mass inside the pipe bit seems a little too sexual for me and the overly conservative bunch here.

Signed, Saintly Lloyd

+++ unless of course you are actually talking about thermowells =)) =)) =))

• edited January 2014

Flap plate.

:ar!

flap_plate.jpg
    800 x 600 - 51K