Tequila - Legal Side

edited December 2020 in General

As we know, Tequila needs to be made in around the city of Tequila and parts of Jalisco.

Otherwise it is just mezcal and cannot be called Tequila.

I've recently been wondering about Tequila that is fermented and distilled in the parts of Mexico it can be, but finished elsewhere.

For example aging with oak, spicing, etc, and yet still legally be allowed to be called Tequila.

I cannot find any legal information out there regarding this.

Came across this company today: Sherry 7 CS @ Storywood Tequila

Looks like they are importing Tequila and then finishing it in sherry casks.

Anyone know the legal specifics here?

Is it OK for us to finish Tequila in different barrels and still legally call it Tequila?

If we get the legal aspect wrong, and we list it on Amazon (for example), the listing will be pulled.

Must be 100% legal.

Comments

• FAQs @ Storywood Tequila

Do you make the tequila in Scotland?

No, Tequila is a product of origin (like champagne and whisky). It must be aged and bottled in Mexico to be classed as tequila. We source our barrels in Scotland and send them to Mexico to be aged, bottled, and shipped all over the world. It’s a very precise process which makes our tequila crafted in a very unique way.

• If Amazon will do the legal research for you, then list a bottle and see?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @SingleMaltYinzer said: FAQs @ Storywood Tequila

No, Tequila is a product of origin (like champagne and whisky). It must be aged and bottled in Mexico to be classed as tequila. We source our barrels in Scotland and send them to Mexico to be aged, bottled, and shipped all over the world. It’s a very precise process which makes our tequila crafted in a very unique way.

Well spotted. I did not see that.