StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Maceration and Aromatic Basket

2»

Comments

• I went bike riding today and almost got mugged for my bike. Yesterday in BA some poor guy got shot in the neck for a $500 bike. I cant wait to get my distillery working make some good product and then sell it.

• edited December 2020

@zymurgybob said: Another datum: We macerate in 80 proof very clean neutral for 20 days, and then potstill, collecting all heads and to a head temperature of 96C. Because we do not want gin flavors tainting our whiskey/brandy stills, we use a 19-liter copper alembic (only) for this process which produces a strongly flavored essence, which we then dilute with clean neutral.

Although it is by no means a delicate gin, it is a best seller, and perhaps 1 in 5 or 6 of those who say, "I don't like gin, so I won't taste it", after smelling (and then tasting) buy it.

You are blowing my mind here. 20 day soak? Is that with all the herbs? Are you doing a “foreshot/oil” cut for the first few ounces? What is your final product proof?

• @richard, on a commercial scale it's much more cost effective to buy in GNS. That said, I know distillers who pride themselves from making everything they can. I don't subscribe to that as it can make your products too expensive for people to buy.

I buy in GNS at $3-6 / l depending on supplier & quality. Excise is paid by me when it leaves my distillery at $86.90 / lal