StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Slow Forum

2»

Comments

• edited December 2020

Speaking of woods, picked up some new-to-me barrels to experiment with finishing. We have some 3 year old bourbon in smaller casks (30g/110l) that are coming up to dump date, we'll shift them over to these more "neutral" casks for at least another year.

XO Cognac, PX Sherry, Tawny Port, and Madeira.

Will be the first time using some of the bigger euro casks, the XO is 74g/280l.

• I just ordered some 100s and looking forward to picking them up. Then I have to fill them. I have thought about using spent casks as neutral for a bit more finishing.

• @crozdog I saw your apple pie moonshine took out quite the accolade, that's no mean feat and I'm sure has kept you busy.

I think things have slowed down as people are more head down ass up at the moment just trying to get through the shit show that was 2020 and haven't been posting. I know for me despite not working at the moment I have never been busier.

I had quite the flurry of distilling in the second half of 2020 and now have 5 different whisky's in 20L barrels which is an achievement I am quite proud of as a hobbyist, I could never have done that without all the help and advice from this forum and its members.

Now I just have to be patient and wait to see if I got things right...

• Thanks @Sam

yep patience is a key attribute for being a distiller

• edited December 2020

If it’s any indication of anything - I have problems posting from my iPhone. The submit button doesn’t always work, and I can’t submit the post unless I open my laptop to navigate over to the draft and submit it.

• @grim said: If it’s any indication of anything - I have problems posting from my iPhone. The submit button doesn’t always work, and I can’t submit the post unless I open my laptop to navigate over to the draft and submit it.

Yeah, the mobile view of the forum is not optimal and was originally designed more for reading than actually posting. Nothing that can be done for the time being, except using a computer for posting instead.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @Moonshine said: Yeah, the mobile view of the forum is not optimal and was originally designed more for reading than actually posting. Nothing that can be done for the time being, except using a computer for posting instead.

use an app like LastPass that lets you 'request desktop site'..

• @CothermanDistilling said: use an app like LastPass that lets you 'request desktop site'..

No separate app required, most (if not all) mobile browsers (like Firefox, Chrome & any Chromium clones) have an option to show the desktop view.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Veeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slow

• Hi all, been a hot minute. Starting from scratch, whole new company. This time much more at the helm and not just all the fun stuff. Hoping to release gin and vodka again in January then push hard on brandy and rum. I"m sure I'll fill a barrel or two of whiskey by mid summer if I play my cards right. Cheers.

• @Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co said: Hi all, been a hot minute. Starting from scratch, whole new company. This time much more at the helm and not just all the fun stuff. Hoping to release gin and vodka again in January then push hard on brandy and rum. I"m sure I'll fill a barrel or two of whiskey by mid summer if I play my cards right. Cheers.

Wtg Luke.

Will you be acquiring a new moniker then?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• In honesty, this has gone over my head

• @richard said: In honesty, this has gone over my head

Translation= Luke is starting a new distilling venture that will provide more equity to his person.

• Luke, will you remain in the same area?

• I've been in a coma since first week of February 2020.

Have I missed anything?

• @Homebrew said: I've been in a coma since first week of February 2020.

Have I missed anything?

Really? An actual coma?

• Nah, not really. There's a bit of flu going round so we all stayed home for a while. Been pretty quiet round the traps actually.

Other than that, same ol, same ol.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Let's have some fun then. "Play stupid games win stupid prizes". I'll make a homemade "Trophy". And when I say that I mean that it's probably going to be something horrible to behold. Now we just need to figure out what contest to have to "win" this "Major award".

stupid.jpg
    491 x 545 - 45K
  • edited January 2021

Woopi Freeballers Inc. Pinball Team @ Facebook

Come to my place tomorrow and do it of you like. There's already a trophy and stupid prizes.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @smaug staying in San Diego but I have a guy running a few places in Tampa I'm gonna target ASAP so hopefully I'll be making a trip or 2 out there, long overdue for a drink with y'all. Crazy it's been almost 5 years since the SD expo.

• edited January 2021

@Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co said: smaug staying in San Diego but I have a guy running a few places in Tampa I'm gonna target ASAP so hopefully I'll be making a trip or 2 out there, long overdue for a drink with y'all. Crazy it's been almost 5 years since the SD expo.

Let me know for real. I wanna take you to a (the) place. Also, if your timing is good your lodging would be squared away too. But I do need a heads up to plan accordingly. Lemmeknow.

• edited January 2021

Hello StillDragon Crew,

Happy new year to all, I hope everyone is well. This post surprised me somewhat, I am always sniffing around in the background and sometimes life gets in the way. Great to see you all chatting away. I am now living in Romania so can officially legally distill at home. Not that ever really stopped me. I had a lot of happy friends in Oz when I left as I had to leave all my barrels and spirits with them.

Hi @punkin and @Chalmer!!

Perhaps I will try and be a bit more active this year.

• edited January 2021

Howdy mate, this makes a sea change to your sea change.

I did a sea change too, moved out of Tamworth to here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBq_YinZg6s

You can see my shed where i live from the headland.

• edited January 2021

Wow mate that looks awesome I think I actually drove through there looking for surf many years ago.

Good on ya.

Nothing better than a bit of a sea change.

Mate we have moved to the Wild West you wouldn’t believe some of the things I’ve seen already.

People do it real tough out this way.

I’m going to try and meet new people while I am here and get to know the land.

They make Palinka and Tuica here.

I bought the most famous/ popular Tuica 750 ml bottle it was bloody rough from the first taste but it is definitely acquired taste and by the end of the bottle I was actually really enjoying it.

It’s legal to distill in Romania so I’m going to have the 4” StillDragon set up full time once I get all the things sorted out for the wife. I will also be starting to look for work in the northern hemisphere which should be exciting and definitely different. See the still I have attached I found this at the local hardware store but you can pick up heaps of hand made ones on marketplace.

I will be getting one before I leave for shits and giggles.

Fruit is everywhere here so I’m going to try my hand at aqua vitae.

I’ve still got all my gear and keep it running as I get ingredients.

Love the hobby still and have made some bloody good stuff on the 4” best investment ever actually I still love it to this day.

I mostly brew beer in the last 6 months but have made before I left Australia.

100 litres of rum into a lark barrel which I had to leave with friends.

An all grain peated whiskey 50 kg of malt half heavy peated half ale malt ended up with 5 litres which I have also left with a mate in oz should be good if I ever get back there.

I’m actually also looking at moving from the 3 vessel system to a Braumeister 50ltr which should make whiskey making a lot easier and I want to make bloody good beer.

I have met a lad who is starting a craft brewery here and once the COVID had calmed down will hopefully give him a hand in his brewery on my time off.

I hope you still have the Missus and she’s looking after you.

If I ever get back over your way I will definitely try and catch up.

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 76K
  • Oh and I’m still using the parrot you made me long ago it’s a staple in my brewery