StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Coronavirus - Alcohol Based Hand Sanitizer

Comments

• Not looking to drink it - just the base for sanitizer as per the thread.

image.jpg
    800 x 533 - 47K

image.jpg
    800 x 405 - 44K

image.jpg
    800 x 533 - 31K
  • edited April 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gZeCXL_nr8

Bier Distillery Hand Sanitizer

• Well I am doing my first TPW wash today as the price of hand Sanitiser is going through the roof here and local farmacies cant get it from Buenos Aires. My mate who has a shed is looking to get his license and start production. The price of sugar has doubled in the last 4 weeks and the price of hand sanitiser has gone from about $3 per litre up to $15 per litre.

• @DonMateo. Just prepping to do a kale wash and multiple TPW strips tomorrow At this stage impressed with the taste of the kale wash but not as quick as the TPW Looking forward to comparing the taste of the two. Only for sanitizer though.

• Awesome video. Sweet building too!

• For me, the most economical way to replenish my supply is by molasses. Thanks to the posts in the rum thread, my ferment is cruising as I’m now using my RIMS and pump to constantly agitate and keep at 32C. Based on the bubbling, I think we’re going to be done fermenting after 72 hours

• I've sold 8 full units in 3 weeks, you'd think one grateful customer would send me some han san wouldn't ya?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• new guidance out for sanitizer in US, has to be denatured, which is a pain, but therefore no taxes, nearby distillery has obtained for us the $80 250ml bottle of denaturatant that will handle 3000 gallons....

• @CothermanDistilling

Right now in the UK, if you make the WHO formulation it is technically considered as denatured.

Even though technically, I'd say the WHO formulation (80% ethanol, not the 75% isopropyl one) is food safe.

The 1.45% glycerol is definitely food safe.

Is 0.125% hydrogen peroxide a food safe limit?

You could get absolutely wanked on the stuff. But from a tax perspective, it is classed as denatured.

• edited April 2020

@jbierling

Hello Joel

From the video you posted, I noticed you are using an Enolmatic bottle filling machine.

Any issues with the high 80% ABV of the sanitiser?

I read somewhere that these machines are only designed for around 40% spirits.

Is it the standard nozzle or mini nozzle? Looks like the standard nozzle.

I don't want to break my £2000 four nozzle Enolmaster.

I have thousands of bottles to fill in early May so I'm thinking of getting an single head Enolmatic just for filling the bottles. Once this coronavirus shit is over it can function as a spare.

Been filling them by hand with a funnel but it's taking ages.

• I've never noticed a problem with the Enolmatic and high proof. I do have the standard sized stainless nozzle for it now, but I didn't used to. The vacuum chamber seems to be OK so far and other than the tubing is the only thing that has direct contact with the alcohol. Its obviously not explosion proof, but I think the user would know something was very wrong before anything bad happened.

But, I just got an XpressFill XF460 HP which is designed for the high proof and works much better with bottles with small openings.

• edited April 2020

@jbierling

In the end I decided to order one of these volumetric fillers:

image.jpg
    800 x 550 - 36K
  • SamSam
    edited April 2020

Well QLD is sorted for sanitizer now!

image.jpg
    759 x 800 - 108K
  • I never found white rum a difficult thing to make.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @ClothermanDistilling. Makes sense really as the glycerin and the small amount of peroxide would not really denature it. What is the product you got Bitrex or aversion ?

• I always thought that Bundy Rum was good for cleaning machinery and thats about it. But bogans love it.

• edited April 2020

@ClothermanDistilling I can’t find the post but it was a link that basically said the start abv had to be 95% to be legal which makes no sense when the WHO recipe cuts it down to 75% with water.

What’s the difference with starting at 90 % and adding less water. Who knows

Also since you have to add Bitrex - which I understand the logic of - it becomes a cost effective problem. I can still buy metho for 5 to 6 $ per litre and that IS 95% ABV starting. I understand this is a distilling / producer site but surely economics come to play at some point. The thought of the Bitrex in a sanitizer caused me some concern initially but havE come to terms with that now.

My own produced base has had too much love to turn into sanitizer but having said that I have done TPW and kale brews for non drinking projects.

@DonMateo. Agree on the Bundy. I have had a bottle probably left by others after a party that has been around probably for decades where as my Excelsior both norm and white and Zacappa seem to disappear rapidly - even had some in fried bananas in butter with lime juice and sugar last night which I had with home made Lucuma ice cream.

• 95% guarantees(mostly) that it is sufficiently pure.... we can argue if it is needed, but it is the law, and not following the FDA guidelines in this lawsuit happy world is not my cup of tea...

bitrex is so bitter, that handling an unopened, seal-unbroken bottle of it, washing your hands three times over the afternoon, and then accidentally touching your lips or opening a bottle of water and accidentally touching the area your lips will touch gives you the sensation of sipping a Triple IPA that tastes bad... it is that bad...

• But using distilled water is part of the guideline too. Makes no sense to me that alcohol distilled at any proof would not be OK as long as the product is 80%

• water just has to be boiled or sterile, not distilled.

d. Sterile water (e.g., by boiling, distillation, or other process that results in water that meets the specifications for Purified Water USP). Water should be used as quickly as possible after it is rendered sterile or purified.

• But it can be distilled.

Why is 100% distilled water ok, 5.1% water 94.9% alcohol ok, but not 50 50? Why can’t the water I use to proof down happen to have distilled alcohol in it?

Makes no sense whatsoever.

• I thought in the US there was further action stating that as long as the aggregate strength was 80%, it was acceptable.

• people also heard home distilling was legal in some states, and we fight that to this day...

• @CothermanDistilling

How much are you paying for Bitrex?

And how much of it do you use, per litre of sanitiser?

• @Homebrew said: CothermanDistilling

How much are you paying for Bitrex?

And how much of it do you use, per litre of sanitiser?

$80 for an 8oz bottle, and it treats 3700gal... like 1ml per 100 gallons...