StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Coronavirus - Alcohol Based Hand Sanitizer

Comments

• Think we have given away around 7000 bottles

• Danger danger with 30%

• @cothermandistilling I was impressed with the buying of a tanker of Molasses. I work on large mining project when most of the time is go big or go home. Buying 24 tons and getting through it is just fantastic.

• Who was it here that said they had an IBC of Glycerol/Glycerin that I could buy? We have so many organisations in tears. We just need to hydrogen peroxide up to 50% strength. We need the glycerin. We have 60kL of ethanol ready and more lined up to keep flowing in. But we do need those two ingredients.

@crozdog vinegar is a terrible chemical to use, it's not a primary standard. It readily breaks down. The 10% vinegar you buy today will be who knows what in 6 months.

How old was the vinegar when you bought it?

I love the HOCl concept.

Corona doesn't like alcohol above 42%. If you're all concerned and want to do something and you lack ingredients, make booze.

With all alcohol based hand sanitisers, be prepared for increaed reports of skin irritation and dermatitis.

Stay home, stay safe.

• Cheers George, want to send some of that ethanol to Sydney?

i was asking you if adding 4 times as much vinegar to the original 80ppm HOCL recipe actually does generate a 200ppm hypochlorous acid solution?

I know it's not in the WHO formulation, but i'm looking to use pressed aloe vera juice to dilute the EtOH to try and minimise the skin irritation issues

• Try the Aloe mix, it looks terrible, it needs a polymer to hold it all together as it separates.

I'll do the equation and equilibrium tomorrow when I'm feeling better. The basics are:

NaOCl + CH3COOH -> <- HOCl + CH3COONa

Hypochlorous acid and sodium acetate are the results. With the equation favouring the weak acid right hand side.

• I can't tell you how many cosmetics companies have reached out to us to buy alcohol.

They are shutting down production because they can't get raw materials to produce.

Have companies begging us to sell them alcohol.

• For people to keep at repeating this " meme " is dangerous in and of itself. Its a PROGRAM, given by MEDIA. Also the CGI images are pure FICTION.

• Tin foil hats can be found on eBay, you should probably stock up.

The government is tracking your posts and they know where you live.

Run, run now while you still can!

• @punkin said: Can't you damn rebs just use regular measurements?
    Did you change everything out of spite or did you'all just forget to write it down when you got on the Mayflower and then have to re-invent measurement?

We got it right from the jump, and never saw the upside to adopting a system based on a flawed premise (1 meter = 1 ten millionth of the distance from the equator to the north pole - it is not)

And only a land where water goes down the drain backwards would think 1 tablespoon = 20mL. :P

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited April 2020

@crozdog said: i was asking you if adding 4 times as much vinegar to the original 80ppm HOCL recipe actually does generate a 200ppm hypochlorous acid solution?

Sorry @crozdog. I thought I'd answered that. The recipe, in US measurements, was 1 US tablespoon (~15 ml), 4 US teaspoons (~20 ml) to 1 US gallon (3785 ml). That additional teaspoon (~5 ml) vinegar just brings the pH down from ~7.8 to maybe 7.1. As someone just pointed out, vinegar, hell, even chlorine bleach is household stuff, and aren't really precision concentrations.

According to a few sources I've read, hypochlorite isn't a very effective sanitizer at high (as in laundry bleach) pH.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Thanks @zymurgybob I get that it'd bring the ph down, but wondering if it also creates 2.5x the amount of hypochlorous acid? ie take the mix from being 80ppm to 200ppm

• edited April 2020

We are currently getting something around 50 emails a day looking for hand sanitizer. Nonprofit charities, healthcare providers, housing providers, group homes, ambulance companies, volunteer fire, police departments, prisons, etc etc etc etc etc.

• @crozdog said: Thanks zymurgybob I get that it'd bring the ph down, but wondering if it also creates 2.5x the amount of hypochlorous acid? ie take the mix from being 80ppm to 200ppm

The recipe from Charlie Talley at Star Chemical Co. for 80 ppm was 2 tablespoons (60ml US) of each, bleach and vinegar, for FIVE US gallons of water. Than means 12 ml per ONE US gallon. If I multiply that by 2.5, 12 ml x 2.5=30 ml, or one US tablespoon per gallon,. for a concentration of 200 ppm.

• edited April 2020

@grim, if your intention is to guide these people to some sort of pandemic security, and if they can do basic mixing themselves, give them this link: Pandemic Sanitizing @ Kelley B Arts. They'll have to decide for themselves from the references is it sounds like what they want.

On the other hand, if this is a for-profit deal, forget I said anything.

:))

• OMG. We’ve been making this stuff for almost a month. I’ve had it spilled on me constantly. And I use it all over my hands and arms at least 20 times a day. We’ve been hand labeling bottles. Must have been 30,000 so far.

Two things:

• I have seen no signs of chapping or irritation on any of our staff, using the WHO formula. The glycerol does its job just fine.
    • if you can’t find the ingredients just sell the booze to someone else who has them. We use about 8 people to keep production up and still don’t meet demand. And that doesn’t include the distilling labor. (Two fillers, two cappers, one boxer, three labellers/swing helpers/orders/sales/delivery/material sourcing/maintenance)
  • edited April 2020

@Fiji_Spirits said: I have seen no signs of chapping or irritation on any of our staff, using the WHO formula. The glycerol does its job just fine.

Right? That's the biggest surprise for me too.

• When you see a distillery is 'making sanitizer', there are 2 routes...

buy GNS:

100% Corn American Grain Neutral Spirits (GNS), 190 proof, at USD$4.75 per liquid gallon in 1,000 liter totes or 55-gallon drums. Price includes container and is FOB: St. Louis, MO (Chemisphere)
    $4.75/1.9 is $2.50 a proof gallon

Make it from scratch(to 190proof, using heads and tails):

molasses to make a proof gallon - $2.50
    Labor to ferment a proof gallon - $4.00
    Labor to distill a proof gallon - $5.00
    energy swag - $1.00
    $12.50 a proof gallon.

If we are good at time management, we can do the fermenting while distilling and save that labor, but we will never get under the cost of corn GNS, because it is made in such large quantities from material that is 6 cents a lb.. ($3.40/bushel)

• Not possible to buy gns in the US right now.

• there are lots of place ("distilleries") with lots of it in stock, and places with contracts that still get their allotment....

• IF I had a continuous, I would be having the neighboring brewery making 4x my volume in rum wash and pumping out 5x what I can now... but even that would not justify a 8-12", a 4" running 12 hours a day would do it...

• @grim said: Not possible to buy gns in the US right now.

Can't get any in Australia either

• edited April 2020

My supplier, who I have a good relationship with and regular orders, basically told me to go screw.

He told me that it's not the companies that are making sanitizer that are buying it all up, it's just that they bought up all the cheap alcohol.

So now, it's the cosmetics and pharmaceutical companies, who have been locked out of the cheap GNS space. They are willing to pay 4-5x as much for the expensive atypical/beverage alcohols, since otherwise it means going out of business.

I can attest to this because I get at least 5 emails a week from a small cosmetics company begging to sell them alcohol.

• I made HS from 1000ml heads (94%), 250ml aloe vera after sun gel and 50ml hydrogen peroxide plus a dozen drops of peppermint essential oil. I would have used more aloe vera gel but we could not find anymore to buy.

• Done my first deliveries today.

People are desperate for it here.

• My name was down for a heap b4 the sh 1 t hit the fan. I've been chasing it up for a couple of weeks now to find the supplier has decided not to release this. You know that's code for they've identified a price gouging oppertunity! I've heard of some horrendous prices on offer out there for HS, I only wish there was a name and shame system for the evil lurkers who think it's ok to profit on the fallen bodies of those suffering and in need.

• It's times like this that bring out the best and worst in society. If only the worst were the ones to perrish. Unfortunatley we all know the good samaritan stories...the good guys die off while the frackers keep on fracking.

• Someone asked about essential oils...

We tried coconut oil, but just couldn't keep it from separating.

We're adding aloe and a drops of tea tree oil per gallon of 70% alcohol.

While the tea tree oil is anti bacterial and anti viral, it is also moisturizing.

I also hope the turpentine aroma it gives might keep a fool from trying to drink it.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Silly question but here goes. In Oz Diggers methylated spirits is 95 % ethanol 5 % water and denatured with bitrex While the bitrex won’t hurt on skin if used as a sanitizer it would be nice if not there.

Has anyone redistilled metho and ended up with a reasonably clean product.

• Look, drunks will drink metho. You're here because you know how to make good hooch that won't kill you. And no, you can't rectify denatured alcohol. That's why it's denatured.

That said, a drunk will even drink hand sanitiser, glass cleaner, anything that has the word alcohol on it.