StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Coronavirus - Alcohol Based Hand Sanitizer

Comments

• Sorry @Unsensibel I don't follow..... If you're referring to a shortage of alcohol..... There isn't. I contacted a ethanol plant today and they have tanker full of available denture alcohol. But they also quoted a price that reflects the demand.

• @TheMechWarrior said: Every week we're too scared to help, is another opportunity for someone to die. It's better to beg for forgiveness than to beg for permission. I'll happily go to prison for saving lives.

Totally agree. I've been in discussion with one of the leaders in the ADA prior to him meeting the government to try and get the Aussie situation sorted eg the WHO formulation endorsed & the TGA/NICNAK approvals agreed. he's of the strong position that we shouldn't be doing anything until those positions are clear.

One of the big challenges i'm facing is to actually source ingredients and packaging. Everywhere is sold out or can't cope with the orders they have. I spoke to 1 massive distillery who told me they have a backorder for 690,000l of gns! of course the price has doubled as well.

• I haven’t checked but to that extent, I also have gas in my garage. However, we’re talking about hand sanitizer that can be used by people in household and healthcare and I don’t think a garage degreaser qualifies

• I view the sanitizer as better for surface applications. If you can’t get it then soap and water work remarkably well for skin when done properly.

• @hudsonbaydistiller said: the ethanol plants produce way more than that every hour . The ethanol plants have the capacity to flood the country with cheep alcohol

They really don’t. They can make it, but you are the distribution point with your connections to the community.

• @Fiji_Spirits said: I view the sanitizer as better for surface applications. If you can’t get it then soap and water work remarkably well for skin when done properly.

It's for people who cannot (for practical reasons) get to a sink.

My kid's schools check in desk (outside the front door) has people using the hand sanitiser while signing in. They are desperate for more.

There are also nurses in our health service who are posting on FB asking for the WHO based formulation. It can be sprayed onto PPE equipment (like reusable face masks) unlike the gel based one that can't.

Right now these people would take "Bob's Homemade Sanitiser". They don't give a shit about approved suppliers.

• No takers on the HOCl sanitizers?

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Sorr, @Homebrew. I missed your last line.

• In Australia right now: No packaging. No ethanol. No Isopropyl alcohol, sugar shortages, methanol being rationed.

• edited March 2020

@Homebrew said: Right now these people would take "Bob's Homemade Sanitiser". They don't give a shit about approved suppliers.

All depends on what you call "approved": News & Breakthroughs @ Briotech USA

This is what I'm making, although less than pure, but guess this is an alcohol forum.

• Was there a recipe I missed?

• Yup, it's on the web page I posted a link for. Because I know Briotech has been working with the Chinese on COVID-19 control, I expect this stuff is what all those white-suited guys are hosing down everything with. I'm thinking it sure as hell isn't flammable alcohol-based hand sanitizer. If you're using 5% hypochlorite bleach, the recipe is 1 tablespoon bleach and 4 teaspoons white vinegar per gallon of water. It's 200 ppm hypochlorous acid.

• @zymurgybob thanks for posting the link to your recipe & background. Very interesting. I've been looking into the hypochlorous acid info you linked and found Some companies are selling make at home units that use electrolysis of salt etc in water. The comments and I found about the diy / brewery use of bleach / vinegar sanitiser all suggest it's got a short life span. Something that IMO should probably be more widely discussed / advised.

I'm not a chemist, so can't comment on if adding 4 times as much vinegar to the original 80ppm recipe actually does generate a 200ppm hypochlorous acid solution. How'd you determine that? Asking as I didn't find anything to collaborate that. @TheMechWarrior, can you confirm?

I know there's a lot of home brewers advocating the water/ bleach / vinegar no rinse sanitiser mix, but think that in times like these we need to be a bit cautious especially if our businesses are producing, selling and promoting products that themselves haven't been tested or aren't being recommended by places like the CDC or WHO.

• edited March 2020

In the UK, we have approval for making the WHO formulation without having to notify the central government who handles tax (HMRC).

Needs to be this formulation :

Guide to Local Production:WHO-recommended Handrub Formulations (PDF)

• edited March 2020

@zymurgybob you say 1 tablespoon bleach then 4 teaspoons white vinegar which is confusing to me as that is the same amount. 1 tablespoon is 20ml and a teaspoon is 5ml unless I'm missing something or values are different where you live.

• edited March 2020

@Glenndog said: zymurgybob you say 1 tablespoon bleach then 4 teaspoons white vinegar which is confusing to me as that is the same amount. 1 tablespoon is 20ml and a teaspoon is 5ml unless I'm missing something or values are different where you live.

Pretty close, but 1 Tablespoon is ~15 ml (at least in the US), and one teaspoon is ~5 ml, so that ratio is 1:1.333. If you make the solution with 1 T (US cooking code for one tablespoon), of each, vinegar and bleach, we were getting about pH 7.7. That additional teaspoon brought the pH very close to 7.0.

I really don't want to try to sell this, or even give it away, but we have huge needs locally for virus-effective sanitizer (I'm probably <20 miles from the initial Kirkland, Washington multiple-death nursing home) so I just wanted to get the recipe out. I figure if the reader finds the sites I link to believable, my recipe's right in there.

• Sorry, ratio is 1:1333

• Dammit! 1:1.333

• edited March 2020

Yeah US is 15ml, imperial is 17mm.

Can't you damn rebs just use regular measurements?
    Did you change everything out of spite or did you'all just forget to write it down when you got on the Mayflower and then have to re-invent measurement?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2020

Oops! Did I never post the link to my HOCl web page?

Pandemic Sanitizing @ Kelley B Arts

• edited March 2020

I just found this. This is why my cakes never turn out if its a US recipe

Tablespoon.PNG
    853 x 297 - 22K
  • It just goes to show the Aussie adage ….. Mine is bigger than yours :))

• The production of sanitizers is surely a way to point people to your companies. It is good advertising and will leave a good impression. If they come to purchase sanitizers from your shop you will most likely sell some other bottles too - at least this is what happens right now in Austria. They even collect old Schnaps to make new sanitizer of it. Best idea ever ;)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• looking at offering bundles of our product + sanitiser

• bought a tanker of molasses, 24 tons, 3-4 1000L batches a week with 400kg per batch.

Stripping in our 1000L B-M, and every two runs sending product through the 380L direct-electric at 10.5kw and 30 plates,and getting 190.5 for 8-10 hours... compared to our rum, I just up the reflux flow a bit and it is 95% to make sanitizer-grade. I am taking no cuts, and the fores/heads/tails all mixed together is, very much to my surprise, far better than I thought it would be... might have to set a bit aside to put in a barrel to experiment...

working with another neighboring distillery that has ordered 4 drums of 3.5% h2o2, and a drum of glycerin... have various bottles in and printing labels... selling to only govt/commercial, to not want to entice people to leave their homes

• @Sunshine said: The production of sanitizers is surely a way to point people to your companies. It is good advertising and will leave a good impression. If they come to purchase sanitizers from your shop you will most likely sell some other bottles too - at least this is what happens right now in Austria. They even collect old Schnaps to make new sanitizer of it. Best idea ever ;)

That's sure how I see it. Yesterday I met a lady, unknown to me but referred by the local hardware store, at my front gate (locally, we're in a self-imposed hunker-down) to fill her pistol bottle with the HOCl sanitizer and sell her a bottle of gin. The neighbors must be wondering.

• @DonMateo said: cothermandistilling. Your my hero mate.

You may have to explain that to my neighbors. :))

• OK, just won the lottery on finding a drum of Hydrogen Peroxide 35%... of course the price went up since the quote I got 2 weeks ago, LOL...

• edited March 2020

@CothermanDistilling said: bought a tanker of molasses, 24 tons, 3-4 1000L batches a week with 400kg per batch.

Stripping in our 1000L B-M, and every two runs sending product through the 380L direct-electric at 10.5kw and 30 plates,and getting 190.5 for 8-10 hours... compared to our rum, I just up the reflux flow a bit and it is 95% to make sanitizer-grade. I am taking no cuts, and the fores/heads/tails all mixed together is, very much to my surprise, far better than I thought it would be... might have to set a bit aside to put in a barrel to experiment...

working with another neighboring distillery that has ordered 4 drums of 3.5% h2o2, and a drum of glycerin... have various bottles in and printing labels... selling to only govt/commercial, to not want to entice people to leave their homes

Well done.

I was paying good money for 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Found a local chemical plant, which usually only sells in 1000 litre IBCs.

We agree a swap for 5 litres of 30% hydrogen peroxide for 8 bottles of gin.

I have enough hydrogen peroxide now for 1200 litres of sanitiser.

If you can, get 30% h2o2 and use 1/10th of the WHO formulation. Obviously you'll use more water.

Edit: just seen your post about 35% h2o2.