StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Hello From Nor'east Texas, USA - DistilliTraK

Hi All :-h

I saw the link to this place via @Smaug. I've been o'er at HD and Bh's forums for a few turns about our star. About 2 years in the distilling craft. One of the beta testers working on a project with me suggested @Smaug and this site, and so here I am...

Over the past few months, I have been developing a computer based application for the tracking and trending of distilled spirits using the guidelines and standards. I've been studying our spirit craft for almost two years since I first got my BH PSIIC and realized I'd need better learn'in than I'd figured. Over the last two years, I've done OK, mostly Sweet Feeds. Early on, I documented everything, If a damn fly flew by the column and the temp changed, I noted it.

Along the way thru 7 generations of Sweet Feed, I saw patterns in each run, and the overall structure.. being a programmer, I do what we do best. I wrote code to easily enter, track and measure what the heck I was doing. From my study there isn't any software designed for the home brewer or AFP small producers. Some may not like recording details, but there are means built into the product that allow one to disconnect the data and secure it when not in use.

I'd love more opines on the product, and can always use more beta testers. I am about 3 or 4 beta's away from a release candidate state (ready for general usage). DistilliTraK is quite functional in it's current state, but I am a die hard perfectionist... Not to mention my team keeps giving me new ideas to add to it!

Being new here, I am hesitant to just jump in and link to it, but at the same time it looks more cozy here than other sites, so.. So I'll grab me nose and get to it...

The site name is DistilliTrak - Spirits Management.

The Screens and Functions page will provide you a quick tour. I have a user's guide pdf with a ton more detail for those interested. One final note - I's not a big corporation. I am a home distiller in Texas. I just happen to have worked in the cororate IT field for a lotta years writing large applications and layouts and I enjoy doing stuff outside of work that isn't dictated by corporate ;)

Thanks in Advance and I certainly hope I ruffled no feather in the posting of this :D

Hobby Distillers Association Member - Join us today!

The only sillae question is the one you don't ask folks...

Comments

• Absolutely fantastic work DT, i'm half way through the tour. It looks the business.

Will this work well on tablets, as i see that being the main use in a small distillery, a couple of tablets to run the automated side of the distillery and this would fit in nicely. I think tablets and phones would be the main base for the hobby guys too, no-one seems to use laptops anymore.

Also will it be affordable? There's your small corporate customer can probably afford a couple hundred dollars, but there's your hobby guy who may walk away if it's over $40-50

I'll go back and keep reading.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Yep, I tested it on a lenovo ultrabook touch book (Windows 8 Acecess 2013) during a SF run. Also, I am building a sheet print into it that will allow one to print work sheets that one can pencil in data for later entry, for those that don't have tablets.

It will be less than 40 USD. I started this with the idea it'd cost less than two sacks of sweet feed. I haven't changed my position, despite the effort.

For smart phones I plan to work up an access 2013 version. That release of Access is more geared towards smart phone applications.

Thanks for your time to look!!

• Also, this uses a split data base concept, meaning, in a small distillery the data back end can reside on the server, and the tablets with the application can access the back end on the server so there is only one copy of the data.

I have tried very hard to develop this for small and large scale use.

• edited October 2013

@DistilliTraK said: Also, this uses a split data base concept, meaning, in a small distillery the data back end can reside on the server, and the tablets with the application can access the back end on the server so there is only one copy of the data.

I have tried very hard to develop this for small and large scale use.

Now that is another damn good idea.

I've left a comment on your site regarding fermenting temperatures.

Beersmith files are .bsm will these be handled by your program?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• .bsm.. Hmm.. I need to look into those. But, if there's a way to code an interface, I can do it (given time).

That back end thing also works with a thumb drive (aka USB stick) for those that want to keep data ultra secure;)

• I just realized I had not rolled out the screen/function updates from Beta 3.3 into the screens and functions tab .

Be sure and see the weekly beta update link as I sometimes lag a bit in updating the screen flows.There's some good stuff there this week.

I also created the first draft of the user's guide this week and that PDF has much more detail. (Which is why the screens and functions link isn't updated w/Beta V3.3).

• cool stuff!

A couple of comments: - look into beer.xml as many decent brewing programs can save recipes in this format for transfer between platforms - have you considered another backend database? IMHO, Staying with Access will restrict portability across platforms. - A multi platform app would be extra cool - run the same thing on windows, osx, linux, iOS & android. - as you're using a split database, have you thought about hosted backend / storage - especially useful for phone / tablet front ends to be able to store data on an internet based server? This could mean that the app could be web based which would make OS interoperability much easier. cheers croz

• @DistilliTraK, I agree with @crozdog, please don't limit your software to Microsoft operating systems, neither on the backend- nor frontend side. MySQL, MariaDB, or PostgreSQL as database, and clients across platforms. Linux & Android have long overpowered M$ & Apple on tablets and other mobile devices.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Hi Gentlemen,

Believe me, I actually prefer mySql to Access. It was just easier to get a POC (proof of concept) up and running in access and then port it to mySql. Please keep in mind I don't have a big team behind me on this so I chose Access as a quick way to get a container and structure up and goin'. Most folks want money up front from a guy to help and write code on a new development these days. That's what drives costs up on packages and early on in the planning of this I chose to write it myself rather than farming it out... With that comes a slower curve, but at the same time a better one. It's hard for me to find 'grammers that are also distillers and understand the flow.

I am actually more a fan of 'Nix than I am of Windows. I own and operate websites(forums) that use a MySql backends and PHP front ends running on RHEL5. In the future, there will be a Nix version that is PHP based using MySql. To be quite honest, I am surprised the code will even run for me for as much as I have cursed M$uck over the years, but thankfully, code has no ears ;)

As far as cloud based, yep, that's in the mix too. But I have seen such paranoia about what the data content is from folks here in the US. So, to that point I have built in measures for securing the data (seperating the data to a NAS or USB stick), but I have always thought about SAAS (Software As A Service) application where I can host the data base, and tie to the owner profile ID and lock it down based upon that, or simply create a unique DB at the owner level on the host server.

Another thing y'all cannot see yet is how the Owner profile ID will "tie" or relate to the batches it owns. Also, a number of preferences will also tie to the owner profile record.

I really appreciate the attention it has gotten in the past day or so, and I thank you all so much, please keep those suggestions coming. On my home distilling forum, I have yet to get a single reply on this. You all have about convinced me I have been posting about this in the wrong places.. until now!!

Also, any interested in helping test, I still have beta tester slots open. Just email me for details.

Cheers

• Is there any way to post a poll here?

I'd like to ask y'all sumpin'' (Sorry, been sippin' an gone hillbillae fer a minute)..

I have developed the capability to release the beta as a 30 day trial to folks . That means, it''d work for 30 days, no hassle. If ya get a new one, it'll continue to work for 30 days, and so on till I reach what we geekenmesiters call "Release Candidate" status @ which point she's ready for the real world.. :D/

I am planning on releasing that with Beta 3.4 - realizin' it's as is and still under development - meaning - new features will arrive as new betas, etc.. Those that help me test it get considerations once I am done developing the final and realease it to the market.

I have been seein' a lot of folks go to the downloads page that have referrer links back to this thread and so, I hate to lose folk's interest..

There's also about a 50 page user's guide in the beta package that explains it all screen by screen and function by function. That'll grow as the product does.

And of course, if y'all find off-tastes in the damn thing, you can yell at me about it :-\"

Based upon how much a bloke helps an all..And I am fair to a fault, the world needs more of that.

Chime in and let me know...

Cheers :-\"

• @DistilliTraK, sorry no poll functionality (yet). I also think that user interaction in a discussion tells more than an anonymous poll.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @DistilliTraK, I'm one of those who have hit your site from here. I didn't download as I only occasionally run windoze as a VM under OSX - partly as most of the apps I use are now on OSX & I don't need to run others that often & when I do my machine slows down.... :((

Still very interested in your product & might have to actually DL the app & have a play to see if I want to put up with the VM hassles before considering putting my hand up for beta testing.

• Ok, Moonshine - I'm cool wif dat and I do understand. I found myself adding a patch to my forums called "Who Voted" on polls so folks could see who participated - Didn't show how someone voted, only dat they did :)

crozDawg - Ok, thanks for the feedback - I do have one beta tester running WinXp under parallels from a Mac and using the runtimes and he's another image running full Access 2007.

There have been over 200 hits attributed to this site so far. You folks really made my day.

• I also passed your site on to Pintoshine from Artisan distillers. He may contact you as he designs professional software and control solutions for commercial distilleries.

• Heck, Punkin, he can probably teach me where the heck I am going :D

But I must say to all of you, thanks so much for being kind to me about this effort.

Means a lot to me, folks.

• it all went over my head as most things do first time around but the site looks like a very beneficial tool for many great work

• Cheers...

DistilliTrak Beta 3.4 is out - You can read about it at this heah Link, and how to try it out for yourself.

Lord... I need therapy... ;D

• I have now updated the screens and functions link, and added a "Functional Overview of Batch Processing" and added a number of things under the FAQ section (At the bottom of the FAQ page, or mouse over the FAQ title on the main page and select from the drop down). Mostly, it's a port of the information from the user guide I wrote that comes with the application (50+ page PDF). I found I was seriously remiss in keeping that link updated, but I am a one man show, so I beg patience as I still have a IRL career I have to give time to... :D Lest mama will dump my fat arse and find her a real Texas Millionaire...

Cheers, Folks!

• G'day all... I've been busy both with the project, crappers at work, and my fall routine here at the ranch, so I've not been as vocal as normal. No less love however :D

Been posting about DistilliTrak over at Punkin's other site and working with zMyrugy Bob on content.

I posted yesterday about the user guide excerpt post I wanted to make here, but the suggestion about posting the PDF link was superior.

So, here ya go.. The DistilliTrak User Guide Beta 3.4 - It's a Beta document and will grow and mature as I distill out the functions and add features. I have a roadmap document going that outlines the features coming in the following months. I also have found a small distillery to work with to further refine the accounting strength of the product, all the while keeping it's core focus on accounting for small or home/hobbyist distillers.

You can access the PDF at this Link DistilliTraK User Guide - Beta V3.4

Cheers!

• Cool, nice work!! =D>

• Thanki Kindly...I'm pissed that my brand new copy of Office 365 (Namely, Word 2013) isn't catchin' them speelin errors...

Also... For those that want to try this software on Windows, and you go to get a trial copy - USE the 1Beta34 discount code to negate the charge. To get the download email with the product link code, you have to go thru checkout as if you were making a purchase, but, it will not ask for ANY payment information if you use the beta discount code.

Why did I do it this way? - I am controlling the number of beta's released and I would like to have the emails of those testing. No, I ain' sellin'/Sharin' the email addresses to no one, nor will I broadcast sales crap - I frikiin' hate that. It's just to be able to send the newsletters to, and to know who is helping me, so I can return the favor when the product goes live.

• For those that use MsWord 2010 and beyond - It is now possible to limit spell checking to just the words one wants....Why in creation someone would disable spellcheck all thorough a micro$uck provided template is beyond me.. but that's exactly what had happened. for 20+ years when you ask a doc to be spell checked, it was... sheesh

Nonetheless, it's has been found, corrected, and the document properly updated and reposted. It wasn't that bad, but it was annoying for me to see the errors just the same.

• Hello, just get known with your program. I have to admit that it is very interesting. For a long time I am looking for a similar program, and until it meets my requirements. Thought maybe the translation into other languages​​? You may be interested in other userów faster, because the program is very interesting. Or another way to separate translation of individual words. If possible, I will help.

Regards

• Hi Pretender - that is an intriguing Idea. I saw that you got a copy from the DistilliTrak site. I hope all is working well (except it is not in your native language).

I will add your suggestion to the development roadmap for the product. My roadmap is where I want to take the product going forward, and contains units of work that I perceive will take longer than a ferment to deploy ;)

Cheers and THANKS for trying it out!

• Hello, application is interesting enough that I will follow further actions. To improve, hmmmm to user satisfaction, missing only the application to be "independent", has not benefited from other programs (I do not know how it is technically called, and even my english ....). And of course the mobile platform, smartphone / tablet. I keep my fingers crossed for the further development of the application.

ps for now I have other classes, but soon I'm going to end up with fruit distillates, and get to know the application, with all necessary data. I hope it will fit within 30 days ...

Regards

• edited November 2013

@Pretender said: for now I have other classes, but soon I'm going to end up with fruit distillates, and get to know the application, with all necessary data. I hope it will fit within 30 days ...

Regards

There's solutions to the 30 day timeframe ;) Just email me and ask ;) It has been tested on a modern Lenovo touch pad with Windows 8 and it works in touch mode. That was one of my design points was that it could be used on a tablet. Haven't tried on a windows 8 phone yet, as I have only iPhone at my disposal (yes, boys, I've plans on that too...All in due course).

Cheers

• edited November 2013

Hello All

The Beta 3.5 release of DistilliTraK is now available..

I have redesigned the menu interfaces and communications and added a number of new features

Owner Preferences for Measurement units (US/Metric), Inventory control, Screen display

Batch Preferences for a number of defaults similar to Owner, but more detailed

Improved interface optics (Yea, I know, a politico term), error handling and communication

New reports - Batch Worksheet (preliminary set)

Bug fixes (After all, I am really a meat popsicle masquerading as a human)

New user guide has more details here: DistilliTraK Beta 3.5 user Guide

Cheers, and Season's Greetings - I am gonna take the week off both my computer jobs :D

But if you've a question, I'll reply...

MainMenu_112513.jpg
    801 x 519 - 111K
    Owner_Preferences_112513.jpg
    566 x 544 - 67K
    BatchGraphs_Report_form_112513.jpg
    600 x 785 - 73K
    Batch_Worksheet_report_112513.jpg
    600 x 788 - 88K
    NewBatch_Preference_Load_112513.jpg
    693 x 548 - 100K

• Hi All,

I'm sorry I haven't posted much as I have been rather occupied. The DistilliTrak product has been improved a "bit" you might say and I am proud to share Beta 3.6 which is coming out tomorrow (If I can get my real life job to leave me alone)

Beta 3.6 offers some very nice features:

• Low Wines and Spirit storage container cycles - Batch's can post low wines or spirits as well as...

• Re-Distillations (1 to n) with cyclic of low wine outputs into subsequent re-distillations

• Backset Storage

The new Main Menu

A schematic showing the flow between primary ferments and distillations and re-distillations;

Latest DistilliTraK User Guide (Beta 3.6) PDF can be downloaded here

Beta 3.6 Release Notes

I have updated the screens and functions throughout the product. There are some new screens for ferments and distillations as well as new reports, bug fixes, and other general improvements. The tutorial can be seen at the above link.

Cheers...

Main_Menu_011114.jpg
    798 x 544 - 116K
    Schematic_Overview_Beta3.6_cropped.gif
    800 x 475 - 63K

• That is really cool. I think there is a growing need for software like this. is there a way to add real time probe info to track temps? I love those numbers!

• If I can get a USB device feed I could read - absolutely - And some day I hope to get that happening for a variety of the data feeds in this product. I've written for stuff like that years ago. I'm just not learned enough about the devices available for distilling yet.

Ok, folks - Beta 3.6 has been **released **

For Folks who've downloaded a copy of 3.5 or 3.4 -

You should have received 3.6 via email from me by now. If not, Hola, please... Please be aware that the upgrade I emailed out is only from 3.5 to 3.6. If you need a copy that will convert from 3.1, 3.2-3.4 to 3.6 please contact me directly. Or, you can use the data base that's included or just go and get a new download from the website. The sample data you see in the user guide is only in the new versions on the website.

If your trial period has expired, please email/PM/Carrier pigeon me the serial number that is generated by DistilliTraK on your computer. I will send you an 30 day extension code. It's taken me a while longer to get 3.6 out than I had anticipated - Holidays, flu, obstinate objects, etc.... So I want to be fair about allowing a decent trial especially in light of the new functions I have added.

For any of you that are considering the product, it will function fully in "pro" mode for 30 days.

The data shown in the user guide is in the sample data base.

For those that yearn in their hearts for a Nix based platform, I want to share that efforts to create a version based on C++ are underway. I have reached the plateau point in development on the primary. I am now going to go and drink some oaked I set back for this moment and forget I am a programmer....

Thanks for your interest...