StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Filtering before Bottling

edited December 2019 in General

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what to do before bottling, I was looking to run the product through a 5 micron followed by a .5 micron filter bag before bottling to eliminate any small floaters from either the barrel or from our charcoal filter. I have seen a few different methods from a plate filter to cartridge. I have thought of using bag filters in a drum.

Is this something people have done?

Comments

• I don't know what your application (and size of operation) is but if you're using EnoMatic / EnoMaster for bottling, I believe both of these systems have an option for inline filtering

• I used a 1 micron filter for Enolmaster.

However, this is for white spirits, the filter housing will probably clog once I start making gins with fruit added post distillation. In which case I'll need to do filtering before bottling.

• We are not using enomatic or enomaster for bottling. we are only bottling about 50 gallons at a time. We are using a 6 Spout Gravity Filling Machine for bottling. I figure we could pass the product through a 5 micron filter bag first then through a .5 and then pump directly into our bottle filler.

• If you have quite a bit of sediment, I would recommend polishing it up a bit with either 5 micron or 1 micron filters, then do a final filtration on the front end of your bottler.

• I don’t know that I’d trust a half micron bag filter.

• I use standard 10' pleated water filters I buy online. First a 1 micron then a fine 0.2 micron in series. Research the filter materials and housings for Ethanol resistance. With clear spirits they seem to last forever, with barreled products I generally get around 2000 bottles before they are too plugged with barrel dust to flow. Cheap and easy to use. I run them in series from the holding tank to the filters to the pump to my 6 place filler. The pump draws the spirit through the filter vs pushing through the filter.

• edited December 2019

The following may put things in better perspective.

@grim said: I don’t know that I’d trust a half micron bag filter.

A filter bag has a filtration efficiency of approx. 60%. The pleated filter cartridges often mentioned and used herein are nominal rated and do not generally exceed 99% efficiency. The better solution but costs way more is to use absolute rated, Beta 5,000, 99.98% efficient cartridges.

Generally the pricier the cartridge also means that it has rigid inner and outer pleat support. With this support you can back-flush the cartridge to extend its filter life.