StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Show Us Your Dragon

Comments

• edited May 2015

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• just waiting for a pump to do the job, we have run it just to strip used 9kw this took 6hours with a 8% wash, collected 61litres all mixed together 35% we will collect a few runs, then send it through the column to see what is the higest we can get 95% fingers crossed

• @Anavrin said: marcus

Nice looking setup, but! You might find you need to add some kind of return from the botton of the column back into the boiler, the reflux return down to column needs to go back into the boiler, if it has no where to go it will flood your column.

I know it's 8" which is far bigger than I run, and I can just about possibly imagine a finely balanced setup that might have just enough power / reflux ratio to negate the need but I think this setup as pictured will be impracticle in real life without some kind of return to the boiler.

FullySilenced Nice Dragon Tits :-)

I'm very interested in a similar setup. I'd like to know more!

• what do you need to know, this is our prototype we are building a larger one with 2 x 600mm columns

• @marcus I guess your aiming for neutral spirit by the number of plates, a 600mm packed section or two will definatly do the trick on top of a few of them plates, I'd love to have a play with that setup :-)

Just out of inerest, how low on the parrot are you collecting on your stripping runs, for neutral I don't really go below 30% leaving the total collected around 55%

If your total collection is 35% you must have run it really low

• In most cases... I don't think a packed section would apply to that many 8" plate sections :))

• @FullySilenced said: In most cases... I don't think a packed section would apply to that many 8" plate sections :))

I'd run 5-6 plates and 1 packed section, that's my setup, all be it on a much smaller scale (6 plate Baby CD with a 510mm 2" section) I'm going to run mine tomorrow, I'll post a pic or two on this thread.

• edited May 2015

I'm running the 6 plate Baby CD today with the 510mm packed section, I took a few steel scrubbies out as it was flooding the other week, it still flooded today at 1.8kw, I've dropped the power to 1.5kw and its running smoothly, very steady output rate 1.2lt/hr and VM takeoff temp of 81.8°c

Seems I've found a nice sweet spot :-)

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 72K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 73K
    3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 80K
  • edited May 2015

Clever column brace.
    You might see an even sweeter spot if you insulate your packed section.

If you put your scrubbers back in (loosely packed) and reduce power to get a takeoff rate of around 750mL/hr, you should get azeotrope from a wash without breaking a sweat.

Running 35% low wines you could bump that up to 1L to 1.2L/hr.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited May 2015

Hi @Kapea

That's what I did with the packed section, I took some scrubbies out and repacked them more loosely, I started with 35lt of strip at 30%

I'm getting 1.2lt/hr, 93%@13°c, so temp corrected it's just over 95%

I've also dropped the power a little to 1.4kw, so far so good :-)

• Looks like the downcomer extensions are up there. How high are they above the top of the cap?

• 10mm from the top of the cap to the top of the extention

• Awaiting anxiously the 4 plate crystal dragon due Wednesday.

1.jpg
    598 x 800 - 72K
  • Updated photos upcoming when 4 plate cd arrives

2.jpg
    800 x 598 - 56K
    3.jpg
    598 x 800 - 77K
  • sorry for the bad lighting. just set it up to see how it would go together. the "crystal dragonstein".

1.jpg
    600 x 803 - 62K
    2.jpg
    600 x 803 - 58K
  • I like the parrot on a tripod idea, why did I never think of that :-(

• edited June 2015

Copper on the downward side... GASP!

Don't look @Myles! ;)

• :)) HaHa! Looks fine to me. Nice work blending copper, brass and stainless. Very neat.

• Guess I should have posted pictures of my new Dragon here first. Oh well, for those who missed the other thread I only have 4 plates in this rig. The first tee is empty and helps me watch for puke. The next 4 have 4 ProCaps each. The top one will be used for SPP when I can find some. In the meantime I will use scrubbies for a quazi-packed column. No such thing around these parts of a 5" extension so I am using a tee. My downcomer extensions are set at 1/4" above the top of the cap and worked great for this first run. Nice deep liquid bed.
    I feel like I should hoard up more tees because when @Smaug is out of them that will be it for me. I can always add caps later or just pack them.

Thanks to everyone here that I pestered the shit out of by asking too many questions about which rig I should buy. Thanks to Larry, Ari and Jeff for the hospitality when I picked this thing up. Also a big thanks to Michael and Judith for putting the final touches on it.

A couple of TPWs so that I can build mama's stock up and get used to running this thing then on to my rum experiments. I am really looking forward to that. Will keep you guys posted on the dunder thread.

• edited June 2015

I will be continuing to stock 5" stills and parts and @Smaug can order parts in for you I'm sure.

The 5" size will continue even if it's not a regular on the US site and spares will be available.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• That is good news @punkin. Just no interest here in the States, I guess. Unless you count a bumbling, fumbling, Florida farmer!

• edited June 2015

@FloridaCracker said: I feel like I should hoard up more tees because when Smaug is out of them that will be it for me. I can always add caps later or just pack them.

Michelle went to her landlord to pay her rent with a bag of quarters. Her landlord asked, "Michelle having you been hoarding quarters to pay your rent?"
    "No sir, I only whored half uh dem. My sistah Rachel whored da ottah half!"

Pretty column you got yourself there FC!

• edited June 2015

Hi @Telluride, what does this bit of of suspended PVC do?

teluride.jpg
    800 x 533 - 77K

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Looks like a fume extractor to me.

• edited June 2015

It is PVC and it's location could be considered plenum space?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited June 2015

4" DWV... delivering liquid to the totes? CO2 and vapor venting would be at floor level, no?

• Forced fresh air in to room...I agree vent out would be at floor.

Quick...more guesses before he answers...

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• edited June 2015

If the fumes were farts then it's in the correct location. :-j

• Looks pretty similar to our auger piping at the brewery, but I don't see a motor or a need for grain there :-)