StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Yeast SAFSPIRIT M1

124»

Comments

• @Kapea said: I enjoy "flavored" spirits as much as the next guy. I don't enjoy the pain that comes with bad cuts though. Many delicious flavored spirits are made from deep hearts, doncha know mon?

I've been all over the map lately. One day I HAVE to have rum and the next day it's whiskey or nothing. I agree with the bad cuts assessment. As long as they have been in the barrel for a long time, I can handle it. Heads however.......

FC

• "After you been eatin' steak for a long time, beans taste fine..." Shel Silverstein (He claimed it also applies to women)

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Surf and turf...

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Well punters, I have just finished the latest ferments using SAFspirit M1. I have to say I do like the results. Definitely cleaner than the bread yeast that I used before hand. I am using this with the wash at a PH of 4. I think I am going to combine it with a red wine yeast that gives more darker finishes, but only about 10% of the red wine yeast. That would be a better combination for the darker denser flavored whiskeys like smoked. Anyway so far I am happy with the SAFSPIRIT M1. At least I can get it here and its cheaper than EC1118.

• How long do you ferment with m-1 ? Scotch distilleries average approx 50 to 60 hours using this yeast, is it that quick?

• edited April 2020

I have just prepared a yeast fermentation chart (PDF) ...... Obviously yeast specific with different yeasts.

But the question is ...... where do people try pitch their PH for

1. spirit
    2. Rum
    3. Whiskey and
    4. brandy

What the chart is intending to do is stress the yeast for improved flavour profiles.

pdf
    pdf
    YEAST ESTERIFICATION.pdf
  • @Richard. I love your work mate.

• Hey, the big reason most distilleries use M strain yeasts is because of their ability to utilize simple dextrins.
    It makes good whisky too but first and foremost it's about yield.

• edited April 2020

Yes @jacksonbrown, profit no 1 I suppose

• @Rosie, we usually transfer to the wash back at around 23° and set the jacket temp to 33°.
    We're usually at 0.997 in three days but this is dependent on how your FV's loose heat.

• @jacksonbrown said: Rosie, we usually transfer to the wash back at around 23° and set the jacket temp to 33°.
    We're usually at 0.997 in three days but this is dependent on how your FV's loose heat.

Wow that is amazing, 3 day ferment, thanks for the information

• One more comment on the bread yeast. I took a couple of shots from the 50l barrel my last irish whiskey made with bread yeast for the last 4 months. I have to say that its turned out a lot better than it was going in. Now its more rich and quite flavorful. I think the more expensive yeasts make a better product but the bread yeast, i bought the best i could here in argentina, still makes pretty decent whiskey and you cant beat the price.

• Are you pitching larger amounts than you would with a more expensive yeast?

• edited April 2020

The interesting thing about some of the distilling strains (that use dextrin)...

Lots of brewers having issues with "Diastaticus" yeasts - or more broadly, yeasts with the STA1 gene.

Which produce glucoamylase to utilize dextrin.

For distillers, it's great. It's likely that many of the great distilling strains are STA1 positive. Likely selected over time because STA1 positive yeasts will provide a greater yield.

For brewers, it creates gushers as the beer continues to ferment post packaging.

If you are trying to be a "pure distiller" and not use exogenous enzyme - maybe it's a comforting fact that some yeasts do indeed produce glucoamylase just the same.

• @zymurgybob. When i pitched the bread yeast i would add 500gr into a 200l fermenter. The safspirit goes in at 60 grams. So yes it was a big difference.

• Are you pitching larger amounts than you would with a more expensive yeast?

That's pretty much what we do, also. Fermenting ~18 Brix barley malt washes, we get super-fast (~3-3.5 days) fermentations, and both the ferment and the distillate smells yummy.

• How'd I screw THAT up? :))

• @grim

Are diastaticus yeasts low sulfur producers?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Hey @grim,

I was recently trying to find out just that, but the best I could come up with was it came from Maclay’s Brewery.

In the 1960's, the predecessor of Diageo (DCL) went through 6 of their sites looking for good yeast strains for use in their distilleries. They took samples from all over the place.

Maclay's sample number 1 (M1), a swab of the filter room floor, happened to be great for maximizing yield in their malt distilleries, so it wasn't exactly selected over time. The improvement did mean it was soon taken up almost universally.

I too was thinking it was a good candidate for STA1 and probably a diastaticus strain but haven't been able to dig up much more info. It could be a hybrid.

I don't think the exact mechanism for M1's dextrin utilisation is well understood. Is it actually producing AMG?

If you find out more let us know.

• Thanks @jacksonbrown. Your a winner. I have used it for my last dozen ferments and I think its OK. And the yeilds are pretty good and consistent with the amount of grain I am using.