Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!
I am working on scaling up my recipe to production scale but having some issues with my basket swapping technique. I use a high botanical load in my product, so not swapping isn't an option.
My question is, should I be splitting the baskets by parrot ABV or by collected volume?
In my small batch scenario, I am charging 20L at 42% and using a single basket and the product comes out great. In my production batch I am charging with 60L at 42% and swapping the basket three times based on the collected volume. The taste of the resulting product is too weak.
Consider macerating juniper and coriander in the kettle and leave the balance to the basket.
I think if you read the existing threads, there is a consensus that switching baskets is not as good as leaving it there and letting the botanicals get the range of ethanol and water vapor. I firmly believe that you should get a bigger basket or do multiple smaller runs....
Add an extension like I did after coming to the same conclusion. See the attached photo. Anything over about 40L and I will have to go up in size. But I am using lighter juniper loads so with two baskets I can get 50L.
I think this sounds like the most practical change to my setup. Did you extend with another T section or with straight pipe? (unclear from your photo)
Having made a few runs where I have swapped vs not, I agree with that conclusion
@freespirit. I just added a straight 4" dia pipe that was 300mm long with a standard 2" exit for the vapor stream. In this photo the condensor is on the GB4 but the extension is above.
@freespirit Glad you came to that conclusion. I only arrived there as i could see that swapping was another variable that could potentially change each batch . There are enough variables to contend with just because of the nature of Gin and herbs / spices quality without introducing another.
Having said that i am considering macerating some extra Juniper and coriander in the next run as i have always had it in the vapor path before.
Thanks for the photo!
Where did you find a supplier for that pipe? Trying to track one down with no luck
@freespirit where i live its hard to import stuff so i have a mate who made my boilers. I would prefer to have bought SD gear but import duties here are 150%. If i were you I would call Smaug and see if he can make an extension. If that doesnt work find a stainless shop and see if they can make you one. Mine i got my tank fabricator mate to knock one up.i live in wine country and there are normally small fabricators that do odd jobs. But try SD first. Their gear is the best.
You could use a straight spool and then use a 4x2 short reducer instead of the GB4 end cap with handle. That way your condensor will come off the top of the basket and you won't need to do any welding.
StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand
There you go @freespirit. I got my tank guy to do it as one evening we were getting blasted, oopppss, doing some gin tasting and I said hey mate, Make me up something that looks like this, and sketched something like I wanted. A week later on he turned up with the spool. I like Punkins idea better.
OK my configuration is going to be: straight 4" pipe to 4" to 2" tapered reducer then 180 degree 2" pipe to 2" condenser pipe.
@punkin just sent you an email :)
The only problem with a 180 degree is that it may bring the PC still in line with the boiler. Sometimes a 90 degree the straight section then another 90 works better.
By the picture you must still be using the GB4 with the straight 4" extension and that may give you the distance to be past your boiler on the down PC path.
or you could daisychain two GB4’s together, now that would be a funny looking but versatile creature!
I did that too. The extension piece works just as well. I have two GB4s. The other thing I tried as well is assembling three glass sight columns in a chimney so its a see through gin basket. The problem with that, and I havent run it yet, is the inner diameter is a probably about 210mm so there is a fair bit of space between the basket and the glass. a section of silicon tube will solve the problem.