StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Howdy from the middle of North America

I've followed the crew around a bit from the various forums (AD, HD, MD), but after reading through most of the threads, this one feels like home.

I started distilling out of curiosity almost 2 years ago and had some early fun and success making some decent product in very small batches. Coming from a homebrewing background with a nicely sorted HERMS all grain system, this seemed like an easy extension of the hobby. I think what I love most about the hobby is that it's never perfected... you can tinker and reconfigure, try new recipes, etc and that keeps it more interesting.

After starting with a simply CM still from another source, I bought a TIG and started sorting together a better still taking ideas from others before me, learning a lot along the way. For reference, I've even run a 2 plate torpedo under a packed CM still (jacketed style) and was able to keep them loaded with it. I couldn't achieve 100% reflux, but it got them bubbling! I've ran on propane, natural gas, electric hot plates, and now I'm stuck on immersion... easiest, most efficient, and safest indoors.

After making 3 of my own bubble plates, I realized my eyeball technique didn't result in a equal flow area for each plate, meaning some would flood and others not... I bit the bullet and over time built up a Dash 2 hybrid. Lloyd's stuff is worth it, much higher quality with more consistency than I was able to build for myself, and it should last a lifetime.

I was displaced for a few months earlier this year (sold a home, bought a home, with 10 weeks between them), and haven't gotten everything sorted in the new brew room yet, but plan to soon as I've got all the fixings staring at me. Once I'm up and running, I'll take some pics of the various configurations I'm set up for. I've even got a 10 gallon TPW wash cleared and ready to run as soon as I get time. And a stack of kegs and ferrules are waiting in the garage for a better boiler build...

Thanks for the community, I hope to contribute 1/10th of what I've taken from it so far...

Comments

• Welcome indeed Jung. You story sounds very much like mine and your ambitions too. I have also tried to give back as much as this hobby has given me and hopeing i have succeeded somewhere along the way in helping a few other people. B-)

Right you are also about the endless variations possible, just when you get a handle on something you find that your undestanding leads to new insights that can be further explored.

You are most welcome indeed. =D>

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Welcome (back) Jung.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Hello jung :-h

It is what you make it!

• Hi Jung, welcome.

@Jung said: I> Thanks for the community, I hope to contribute 1/10th of what I've taken from it so far...

I'm sure you'll work out how to do that & more.

Beers

• Hi @Jung, coming from a beer brewing background you have a huge leg up on the process of distilling. Looking forward to your pictures when you get settled in at your new homes (there and here).
    TPW leads me to think you are after neutral, perhaps for infusions with fruits or herbs?

Glad you are here. :-bd

• Thanks for the welcome, gents.

@Lloyd TPW for neutral, indeed. I figure as I get myself used to the new still, as clean as possible is a good starting spot. Flavors can come later with all-grain mashes. I have a new 20 L American oak barrel waiting for the right recipe to fill it with. But with just a keg boiler, it'll take a few batches to fill.

I've got parts for a 6 Plate 4" Dash with a 20" packed section above. Should be sufficient to make azeotrope. It's tall enough that I have to position it between floor joists in the basement, but there is at least 18" more headroom than the last house, and the brew room is about 8x bigger.

Ran some Acid #5 though my keg intended for fermenting to descale it. Progress, but not perfection. My pump doesn't produce enough flow to spin the CIP ball vigorously enough to clean the top half very well.

@crozdog once I'm up and running to where I have things in my head, I'll do a build thread walking through my gear and the corresponding thought process. 8 years of brewing beer with upgrades made throughout the process gives a guy good understanding of what works and a great understanding of what doesn't. I hope to reach the same level with distilling.

• I like such nice introductions. Welcome & have fun in our exciting new community, @Jung. ;)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @Jung said:

Lloyd TPW for neutral, indeed. I figure as I get myself used to the new still, as clean as possible is a good starting spot. Flavors can come later with all-grain mashes. I have a new 20 L American oak barrel waiting for the right recipe to fill it with. But with just a keg boiler, it'll take a few batches to fill.

Makes sense to me. A good neutral is not easy to make and when you can do that it's easy to detune the still to pick up as much flavor as you want.

I've got parts for a 6 Plate 4" Dash with a 20" packed section above. Should be sufficient to make azeotrope.

More than one artisan distillery running the exact same setup that you describe. If Smaug could chop out a "sky light" in my distilling room I could do it too.

• Welcome Jung I would have to agree with moonshine A very nice welcome for sure Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together