StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Using Condenser Water to Chill Dephlamator

2»

Comments

• There is plenty of them - just 60l seems way over the top and a smaller unit seems more suitable.

My PC runs somewhere between 1.5 to 3 lpm so use a 7lpm indicator ( 3" PC ) and 5" RC use a 18 LPM flow controller / indicator. Running around 8lpm - same as Fiji.

• I use an IFM 6004. 0.1 - 25lpm. not cheap new, but 2nd hand they are reasonable

• For a process qualitative flow meter that's low priced (well sort of in this category) I would also recommend the IFM flow meters.

• I purchased mine primarily to balance the 4x water circuits from my water tank.

I'm not using them for checking water flow to the reflux condensers.

I'll add something like that later.

• back on the chiller heat exchanger subject, I ran across this just now on the Pro-Refrigeration site for distilleries...

We look for ways to maximize the use of ambient cooling, coupled with a chiller system, to decrease energy usage while delivering a system that is easy to operate, control, and service.

which, in plain English, means we use a Air to Water HX (a radiator and a fan) to scrub heat off before the chiller to get 4x capacity out of the system..

• edited September 2019

Folks like us up here in the frigid north (New Jersey) - have access to cheap cooling.

It's 57 degrees outside this morning, an Air-To-Water HX could easily cool a holding tank in the wee hours of the morning for pennies compared to what running a chiller would.

The brewery next door uses a 2 stage HX for crash cooling after the boil.

First stage - tap water, which feeds into their HLT. Second stage - chiller. In a few months, our water will be about 55f constantly.

The single-pass flow rates they crash cool at make me jealous. I could easily mash 2x a day if I could cool that fast.