StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Benefits of Plates on a Pot Still?

2»

Comments

• Great recipe for Chimichurri here. Take about 50grams of basil, 10 grams of oregano, chopped up. marinate it in 150ml of olive oil with 50 ml of lemon, add 50 grams of chopped garlic and some ground pepper, just a bit. Shake it up and let it marinade for 24 hours. The best chimichurri you can taste. It makes beef taste amazing. You can use dried basil but fresh is best. This is completely OT to putting plates on a potstill.

• edited August 2019

Basil and Oregano? That's interesting, I've only ever used parsley. I think I like Lime vs Lemon, but that probably has to do with how many rum drinks I've consumed over the years. I think my wife used orange juice one time, when I forgot the citrus, and I remember that being amazing too.

24 hours is key, you can't shortcut that. Otherwise, the flavor falls short and the acid doesn't really have time to work the meat.

• edited August 2019

beef ribs are still cheap here, about 50% of fillet cost. Pork ribs, lamb shanks and pork neck (fillet, copa, money muscle) are all exe now as they are trendy.

SorryForTheDerailPunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• SamSam
    edited August 2019

The other one I came across recently is beef cheeks slowly braised in Pedro Ximénez. Its a recipe from a Spanish restaurant in Melbourne called Movida and just amazing.

Movida’s Beef Cheeks Slowly Braised in Pedro Ximenez with Cauliflower Puree @ Free Range Butcher Millin's

• 54C for 30 mins, peeled green prawns and garlic, oil and pepper. Best chewiest prawns ever.

I hope we've answered the original question.... :-S

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @grim said: Sad that all the great cheap cuts are now absurdly expensive.

I remember when short ribs were cheap, not no more.

Can almost buy filet cheaper these days.

Yep. Ox tails are as much as the traditional spendy cuts.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Now I can remember growing up and my mum would make ox tail stew and let it cook for hours over a pot bellied stove. Yum..... All that nice beefy flavor and ligaments falling apart. She did it because they were very cheap. I eat them because they were very tasty.

• @DonMateo comfort food no doubt.

My wife makes them 3 or 4 times a year.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Mrs Smaug sounds like a great woman. ANyway back to my report.

• seeing as we're way off track I feel I need to continue the tangent and tell you all I made the best rending the other night. slow cooked big chuck steak chunks in spices and coconut cream simmered for 4 hours. yum

• Rending of a Rendang

• Rendang....Made a huge amount of rendang yesterday evening for a party this weekend.... House filled with the loveley combined smell of trassi, coconut and rawit ( red hot peppers). Inspired a also made a bowl of sajur lodeh.... This afternoon some friends came by for a meeting..... Then my mom dropped by with some family... Now I have to start to prepare a new batch :D

• @punkin said: Rending of a Rendang

Yep. Damn auto correct

• And the wing of the chicken was almost a throw away piece.

FC

• I don't tell too many people how good drumstick fillets are and how easy it is to get the meat off the bone. They are still cheap here and it ends up at $5-6 kilo for fillet that's the tastiest bit of the chook.