StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Peaches?

2»

Comments

7771B9D8-306A-4B10-B039-3EE0FDCC5286.jpeg
    599 x 480 - 63K

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• By a stroke of luck (or disaster) I came across a molasses wash that had been sitting for almost 2 years :-O

Smelled good so I stripped it yesterday and the strip seems OK. Gonna do a spirit run on it soon and then use the proceeds for my first GB4 use. Lotta variables will be going on but I should be able to tell if the rum is good while taking hearts.

Instead of using peaches for this first go (since I'm not 100% sure of what the rum will be like) I've decided to go with a coffee bean/cacao nib combo. I have about 5 1/2 gallons of strip and will guess about 1 - 1/2 gallons of hearts.

What kind of amounts of coffee/cacao should I use in the basket? I have no idea where to even start. If this is a success there will be no way to reproduce it so it will be a one off kind of thing.

HELP!!!

FC

• OK, did a run through the GB4 with roasted coffee beans in the basket during the first half of the run and cacao nibs in a separate basket during the second half. Results?

Not successful but also not a failure. I bumped up the amount of both to 2 cups each and ended up with final products that smelled like coffee/cocoa but little flavor carried over. I'm now going to macerate each to get more flavor. What ABV should I use for the soak? What I have now is 80 % ABV.

FC