StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Coopervilles Mixed Berry Bliss

edited September 2013 in Recipes

I want to share something a little special with everyone. This will be my first recipe to share with anyone and I was a little shy to let the cat out of the bag too soon. This is my second attempt at this recipe and I think I have come up with something very nice, smooth and delightful.

The recipe is very easy and if you have a bit of neutral lying around this is one for the family.

What you need:

2L / 67oz / 0.528 gallon jar
blender    
Enough frozen 3 berry mix (from Costco or somewhere that sells a 
  good fruit mix) to fill the blender twice including a bit of ice from
  around the fruit is fine 
1/3 cup of fine brown sugar
3/4 cup of white sugar depending on taste
1 small lemon
1 whole vanilla bean

Instructions:

• Add enough frozen berries to fill blender
  • Add 1/3 cup of brown sugar to blender
  • fill with 69% neutral
  • Blend to buggery!
  • Add to empty 2 liter jar
  • Repeat, but without sugar (fill with berry's and top up with neutral)
  • Fill jar close to top (but leave a bit of room for white sugar to taste)
  • At this stage filter (I use a mesh strainer designed for your sink drain just to get rid of all heavy fruits for the first strain)
  • Then filter with coffee filters (I use many as it is very slow, this process may take up to four days in my experience)
  • Once you are happy with the clarity, add the juice of 1 lemon to taste. This is important it just seems to need the citric component
  • Add 1/3 of a cup of white sugar at a time and shake the crap out of it, till all sugar is in solution, then taste, continue adding 1/3 cup until the taste achieved.
  • Be careful you don't want it too sweet but just right!
  • I like 1 cup of sugar, including the brown addition per 2 ltr jar
  • Once all sugar is in solution , this may take a few days (It took me 1 just keep shaking her)
  • Run through another filter session (I used 5 filters this time but you can go more, clarity is what I am looking for!)
  • Once its all cleared add the vanilla bean untouched

This jar has been sitting for about a week and I am now sipping divinity!

I'm guessing once the vanilla bean has set in it will be even better

I dont know the ABV as such but to taste I'm guessing (sipping slowly) 40 would be pretty close, any stronger and I think the heat would destroy the subtle fruit flavors

berry_bliss.jpg
800 x 600 - 87K
Tagged:

Comments

• The show of the 4x4x3 SGK Tee gives a sure and definite hint as to size/volume.
    Berries and vanilla cannot go wrong. You are an inspiration for me to follow.
    By your suggestion I've been looking for blueberries.

Several sure hits you have expressed lately are apples, plums, blueberries, cinnamon and vanilla. I think you already know you are my hero.

I'm working on the least and working up (rice to fruit) and feel you are far ahead of me.

• edited September 2013

:D

• Thanks for the write up Coops,yes filtering berries takes a lot of time,I filter the first time through colander,then a nylon,then coffee filters,it worked very well and cut the time considerably! How is your Applepie going? Has your apples browned out yet? I filtered and cut mine down yesterday,it is about 40 abv(figured by taste and effect) and I will say it sure beats the hell out of using juice and cider,and cardamon berries worked very well in the mix,you will be happy with it! Thanks for the heads up on the recipe punkin :)>-

It is what you make it!

• for now im shy but i have removed the cinnamon sticks after 4 days as recommended

apples aren't completely brown but i am a bit worried about the ones floating on top of product any info on this

will oxygen hurt my AP? i doubt it but hey doesn't hurt to ask

didnt want to mention the nylon filter but its only in contact for half an hour and works a treat :D/

• Oxygen did not hurt mine as far as I know,I would give the jar a gentle roll every day or so to turn the apples up in the mix.

It is what you make it!

• got it ..good advice here she is after a week 3 sticks of cinnamon removed on day 4image

• edited September 2013

good advice i removed the Cinnamon sticks after day 4 its a week old now and you can see my issue with fruit floating as you said @Benstick give it a good roll and it should be fine

apple_pie.jpg
    800 x 800 - 102K
  • not much browning but you can see the cranberries have filled right up and will make this a nice recipe the apples are very fresh from Costco maybe a couple of weeks old shipped to JP i washed them with washing detergent and scrubbed them rinsed em before cutting em up cant wait to try this one but the berry mix is definitely a high light

• :-c If you have means to get some strawberries and rhubarb you should give it a try coops,very nice and the rhubarb adds a tang to the drink,another I mixed up last night was a Mulberry(imo) so far the best of all the fruit/berry mixes I have done,next to the AP of course.

It is what you make it!

• @ cooperville thanks for the recipe. I am definitely going to bugger up some berries as soon as I get back home, still on the road for 7 more days.

• @bentsick can you elaborate on the rhubarb recipe sounds good and rhubarbs pretty cheap from what i remember

• Very nice recipe Coops, and your Berry Bliss is crystal clear.

That Rhubarb 'n strawberry recipie sounds interesting @bentsick. I have a Rhubarb crown growing and was going to pull it out.

• edited October 2013

@cooperville same as most of my fruit, in a .5gal/1.89l mason jar add a strawberry rhubarb mix of 50/50 until jar is half full,add 1 cup sugar,add the booze of choice until jar is full(I use SF most of the time)let set for a month,sample, if not tasty enough let set a while longer,strain, add water until about 40-45% abv sweeten to taste!

It is what you make it!

• Its all a lot of fun and just as easy as i will look at getting this ingredients and give it a go :D

• Me too. Strawberries are crazy price here and often in short supply but rhubarb can be had easy enough. Wanting to do a Strawberry Panty Dropper before strawberries are no longer to be had, wondering if Rhubarb LongJohns PullMeDown would be a hit if the name was changed =))

• edited October 2013

I hate to do it to ya Lloyd but this is my last bit of spd I left it for the girls and the last bottle just sat there for a year in the back of the cupboard due to my cleaning frenzy I found it and and run it through the 2 stage filtering orgazmatron as there was a bit of strawberry sediment as such Now let me tell you this has to be 12 months old and the color is dark the flavor is rich and it's in the fridge

OK I think it's a girls drink but now

Well I would say its a mans drink Not for girls as they just wouldn't appreciate the flavors ;)

coops_last_bottle.jpg
    800 x 600 - 40K
  • No problem, I'll PM my post address to you.

• Orgazmatron? Did I miss something?

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Possibly this stuff is that good

• I find the SPD tastes a lot like port after a year or two.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• "orgazmatron", a new word for the distiller's glossary.

I'm not really sure how the word is used in distilling but I wager it will be popular.
    Who would have guessed that "dephlegmator" would become popular enough that most of us can now spell it?