Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!
I have just set up a 380L still with 2x 9kW immersion heaters. It's connected through a gin basket to a 2" long condenser. The condenser is cooled using a glycol/water mix from a chiller unit with reservoir.
I tried it out for the first time today and vapour came out of the surge preventer underneath the condenser. Reducing the heater power to 9kW reduces the vapour escaping but there is still a lot.
I assume the condenser isn't working effectively.
The coolant inlet temperature was 2°C. The outlet was a little warmer but still cold to touch. There was condensation on the outside of the condenser showing that it was cold. If there was a problem with the cooling system I would expect the outlet liquid to be hot and for the reservoir to gradually heat up but it didn't.
I also tried cooling with mains water directly at 10°C with a decent flow rate, but still lots of vapour.
Has anyone encountered this before? Is my condenser too small? Do you have any recommendations?