StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Where to find molasses

2»

Comments

• @CothermanDistiller, I understand, but if your blackstrap ended at 1.040, and my old scotch ale ended at 1.024, it tells me a lot about unfermentables that the Golden Barrel ends at 1.020, assuming, of course, about a 10% fermentation. I believe that much of the rich flavor I got from the old Land 'O Lakes came from what some might call the "junk" in that coarse (as opposed to fancy) molasses.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Oh, yeah, and I'm sorry I mentioned the Zaya. That kinda moved the discussion.

• @zymurgybob said: Oh, yeah, and I'm sorry I mentioned the Zaya. That kinda moved the discussion.

Lol no worries.

Sorry for being a pretentious, doo-sh bag, internet rum snob...truth is I more or less love Zaya. Always have. My name is Larry and I'm addicted to sugar,,,,,and rum....

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited June 2019

It's material.

I think a big component of having a characteristic of bold flavor is in the finish. You need a very long, robust finish to get that bold flavor perception.

Thin mouthfeel and short finish - these kinds of spirits will always come across lighter in flavor.

A small amount of sugar can go a long way into building a more substantial mouthfeel and a long lingering finish.

It also helps tone down any residual bitterness, so you can push for stronger overall flavors.

Sugar additions have been the 'dirty secret' of cognac and brandy for just about forever, even at the high-end.

• Trying to find a bottle of Zaya Rum in Australia. One shop had it listed but out of stock. $135

Thought the next site was Oz but it was US. $ 26. Your prices are crazy and how could you possibly sell good alcohol and make a profit.

• edited June 2019

@GD50 said: --- how could you possibly sell good alcohol and make a profit.

I'll let you know if I can figure that out for sure. :(

In Washington State, our cask-strength faux Laproaig sells for USD 81.76, and it does sell.

• That’s a much more workable price

• Holy mother of Jesus - Australian excise taxes are $85aus per liter of absolute alcohol?

That's $60usd per LAL.

• Pre-Trump excise was $13.50 a proof gallon, it's now $2.70.

We were previously paying $2.14 per 750ml of 80 proof. It's now $0.43 per. You guys are paying something like $18 on the equivalent bottle?

This doesn't include state taxes, only Fed.

• edited June 2019

@grim said: Pre-Trump excise was $13.50 a proof gallon, it's now $2.70.

We were previously paying $2.14 per 750ml of 80 proof. It's now $0.43 per. You guys are paying something like $18 on the equivalent bottle?

This doesn't include state taxes, only Fed.

Time flies, but I think we've been selling for about 3 years, and we've never paid the higher 13.50 rate. I don't think the lower rate was a Trump action.

• @zymurgybob said: Time flies, but I think we've been selling for about 3 years, and we've never paid the higher 13.50 rate. I don't think the lower rate was a Trump action.

If you removed spirits from bond before 1/1/18, you did... or should have... here is an excerpt from an email dated 12/21/17

This week the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate both voted on, and passed the Senate/House Conference Report on H.R. 1, the major tax reform bill entitled Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, aka “An Act to provide for reconciliation pursuant to titles II and V of the concurrent resolution on the budget for fiscal year 2018”

The legislation contains the tax-related provisions of the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act, which includes a reduction in the Federal Excise Tax for craft distillers. The rate will drop from $13.50 to $2.70 for the first 100,000 proof gallons. The provision will be effective beginning January 1, 2018 and is expected to continue through December 31, 2019.

• Oh, and if you google "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" you will certainly see it is referred to as the "Trump Tax Cuts"

• And it may ruffle feathers, but I am against the reduction on such large of a scale... a buck a bottle helps a 10,000,000 bottle a year shop that sells a $13 product a LOT more than it helps a 1000-10,000 bottle shop that sells a $30 product...

lets say the $13 product has a $9 wholesale cost and $7 Distributor cost, and costs $5 to make.... they got n extra buck, so a 20% windfall ... whereas the craft $30 product goes to wholesale at $23 and to the distributor at $16 and costs $14 to make because 'handcrafted is reality and not a marketing gimmick, their windfall is only 7%

and add a buck to my $70 whiskey and I won't flinch, but it will shake the timbers of the $20 whiskey market...

• The lower excise is only on the first 100,000 proof gallons.

• yeah, "only".... what is a half-million bottles between friends, LOL.... so the tax-break ends when they get a million dollars... you know, extra marketing money to tell the customers how a guy putting a clamp on a hose counts as 'HandCrafted'..

• Thanks for the correction, guys. It just goes to show, don't ever rely on mu good memory.

I know Ron Wyden of Oregon was senate sponsor of that Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act, and originally it included legalization of home distillation. Wyden was a big hero of mine, even if I can't remember when.

• yeah, that was at the end of the CBMA of 2015... they dropped it when it went to the CBMA of 2017. :-(