StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Resting spirit - options for microdistillery

2»

Comments

• edited April 2019

Beer is packaged in green and brown bottles to protect it from the photochemical reactions induced by UV (brown is much better, I've drank too much skunked green bottle beer).

Don't quote me 100%, but there are two kinds of UV-mediated chemical reactions - the first is UV inducing an energy state change in a molecule, that makes it more reactive than it otherwise would have been, the second is creation of "free-radical" molecules that are more reactive, and will react with other molecules in the liquid. Boils down to something either similar to decomposition or oxidation reactions.

There is likely no way to allow for beneficial reactions, and prohibit detrimental reactions. I believe they've been trying to achieve this in beer for some time, using UV to pasteurize beer without the detrimental (aka light struck/skunked) flavor impacts. The actual reaction is with a specific photosensitive hop compound.

Does a bottle of whiskey left near an open window for a few years taste any better?

• edited April 2019

@grim said: Does a bottle of whiskey left near an open window for a few years taste any better?

Really never going to make it past 3 days . 4 days top.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• So what is Lost Spirits reactor process hoping to achieve with blasting the alcohol with light? I’m trying to grasp what they are doing there.

Maybe it’s not even UV light.