StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

4" Crystal Dragon

Comments

• Assuming the downcomer goes in the center hole in this application to clear the fitting, Captain?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin The DC fits in normal outer hole position

captainhoochs_bottom_plate.jpg
    800 x 600 - 78K
  • excellent

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Yes a good solution to get the plate elevated.

@what said: Brilliant Lloyd thank you. I'll just have to chill now till punkin gets the new glass :D

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• StillDragon - 4" Crystal Dragon with 16 Bubble Plates - First Look

Watch a short preview of @captainshooch's 4" Crystal Dragon with 16 Bubble Plates!

http://youtu.be/CU_k52_XggU

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• You did that with only one pair of Sight Tower ends, extraordinary!

• Nice shed too.

• I would have thought it would get wonky too and need reinforcing with a TC connection in the middle. It sure is impressive. Well done, bet she'll put out the cleanest vodka around. <:-P

• Yep @punkin, she is a bit wonky and requires an overhead support specially since I am hanging 2 condensers in line. Maybe after I add some support sleeves over the threaded rods she might stiffen up a bit. I do not think this could be done without some kind of overhead support like I have. The run went absolutely flawless. No cooling water leaks or any kind of issues, and I even got her up to 8 Qts/Hr but noticed a bit of quasi flooding in the middle plates so I slowed her down to somewhere between 6 and & 7 Qts per/Hr and just sat back and enjoyed the heck out of it and watched 95 ABV just steady pour out the parrot. Several videos in the process of uploading to Mediafire for @Moonshine to work with. Prolly take a while but I am sure he'll get to them eventually. I hope he does a good job of additing all my f-ups..

@Smaug I might need a 4" super Deph to keep her back... :D

BTW I uploaded a vid for @Moonshine to use to show how I do my CIP.

I am a total newb at taking videos, so please bare with me, they will get better since they prolly can't get any worse... =))

Now that this is going well, soon I will start a Dominoe test with some really clean neutral and see the individual effects without a flavour from the product itself playing a role....Darn...can I just sit back, drink a beer n take a break...Wife said FORGET IT!!! Ha! :))

• Good stuff Capn. Thought it may need additional support.

• Even the regular tees on a commercial tank can offer up some movement. That is why we mounted Dustin's product condenser to the side wall directly adjacent to his 380L boiler.

By stabilizing from the condenser side it makes it easier to service the column. We have the 2" and 3" split ring pipe hangers that work quite well for this. Can also use a clevis hanger from above.

• @Smaug I need to look into the 2" split ring pipe hangers. I am used to leaving the deph, u bend and condenser hanging from the ceiling and just remove the towers for maintenance. I'll have a look on the website and I'll get back to you.

• The pipe hangers are a sleeper product that few have exploited but are nothing short of wonderful. Keeping the product condenser and parrot attached to a post or wall while you break down the column? ***Priceless!!!!

• Yes @Lloyd pretty much what I have been doing but from the ceiling.

• StillDragon - 4" Crystal Dragon with 16 Bubble Plates - Maiden Run

Watch @captainshooch run his incredible 4" Crystal Dragon with 16 Bubble Plates for the first time! Nothing short of amazing, this video assembled from several snippets pretty much shows it all from beginning to end. Straight to Vodka? You bet! And eye candy it is. :)

http://youtu.be/418ASPZDR2A

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• StillDragon - 4" Crystal Dragon with 16 Bubble Plates - Cleaning in Place (CIP)

Watch @captainshooch present his way of cleaning a 4" Crystal Dragon with 16 Bubble Plates in place (Clean in Place = CIP).

http://youtu.be/kr0e1yfU218

• edited March 2014

@captainshooch, so was that 7L per hour?

• @Smaug, 6.8 L/h close enough I'd say 7.

My darn funnel has a small screen inside of it and it causes an air lock so I have to lift it do dump... I should throw away that darn screen.

• Awesome setup mate. It might not be the filter causing the air lock, I have the same funnel and it actually sits that flush with the jars that when it fills it creates an airlock. If there is a slight air gap between the mouth of the jar and the funnel it will flow properly even with the filter but the filter is not really needed anyway.

• Thanks @unsub I am just gonna throw the darn filter away.... :)) It does not serve any real purpose other than aggravating me... problem solved, just chuked it ... :D

• edited March 2014

(edit) wrong video, I like that 180 bend with the ntp in the center of the bend, did you get that here?

• @nvnovrts said: (edit) wrong video, I like that 180 bend with the ntp in the center of the bend, did you get that here?

I have some in stock.

• Would it be something doable to create an automation process where the flow of water through the dephlegmator is determined by the product vapor above the dephlegmator ?

• Yes. There is a correlation between the vapor temperature and discharged coolant temperatures.

• But there is also a correlation between vapor temperature above dephlegmator and product ABV ?

• edited April 2020

Correlation? Probably more accurate to say they are directly related.

Vapor temperature <--> ABV

Vapor at a given ABV will always be the same temperature, and vice versa, vapor at a specific temperature only corresponds to a specific ABV.

So, you can determine the ABV output of a still by measuring the vapor temperature immediately before the condenser.

However, as you approach azeotrope, the accuracy and precision of the thermometer becomes increasingly important, as even tiny errors in measurement can result in wild ABV estimations.

• The electric parrot works thusly. It takes into account barometric pressure as well.

• I don't recall it having an installed pressure sensor or is this a once off manual altitude input

• No, it has a sensor

• In order to utilize any calculation based on coolant discharge temps, you'll need to provide consistent coolant entry temps for the duration of the run btw. So frequently a useless metric for lots of boutique operators.