Feedback on our configuration

Hi Guys!

First, great forum with a lot of valuable information and creative minds.

We are setting up our new pilot still right now and would appreciate any inputs and comments on our setup.

We will be running a 50-liter milk can boiler with a 4" Dash SG with three bubble sections and a gin basket. We have modified the milk can with 2 x 3 kw elements. All temperature probes and a can pressure gauge are all connected to our control system (Siemens Logo).

The temperature will be controlled by a PI regulator in the software. The power to the two heaters are controlled by SSR´s with PWM output from the controller.

The user interface is on a PC connected to the controller, where we also have the possibility to log all parameters and export to Excel for later analysis.

We will start with a simple temperature regulator setup. Over time the software will be developed with stuff like automatic
head, hearts and tails control.

Copper onion head is on the way and will be installed under the bubble sections.

Any input on the does and dont´s regarding the temperature control of the still will be greatly appreciated.

3.jpg
389 x 800 - 56K
2.jpg
389 x 800 - 53K
1.jpg
389 x 800 - 47K

Comments

• Gosh that's a really nice set up.

With respect to temp control, what temps (where) are you specifically trying to control temps? You can control coolant temps and /or coolant flow rate to influence ABV. Don't waist your time trying to control your kettle temps.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• That cart is the bees knees.

• edited January 2

Distill your gin's base spirit, making all cuts first. Then circle back and run that base spirit with no plates through the botanicals in your GB4. Two runs. Two still configurations. A distillation run, then an infusion run.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Kapea plus one. All looks great but what the three plates for. Just put a straight section there. Nice looking elements. Not much temp control required to run that little beauty.

• @Smaug said: Gosh that's a really nice set up.

With respect to temp control, what temps (where) are you specifically trying to control temps? You can control coolant temps and /or coolant flow rate to influence ABV. Don't waist your time trying to control your kettle temps.

Thank you all for your encouraging comments!

We won´t waste a lot of time trying to control the kettle!

@Smaug, beeing new to this i need to ask, the control of coolant temp/flow would that be in a dephlegmator or is this also an issue with the product condenser? Apart from minimizing water consumption of course.

• edited January 2

I did not see that little dephleg there. Remove that as well along with the plates and your pc should only need a few l per min to make sure product is not hot. With the right combination of spools you should be able to put it back into plate mode keeping the heights right. To me the GB4 run should be as simple as possible with all the work done before the flavor run. Of course you could leave the dephleg there and just not use it or use it to change the botanicals basket but personally I don’t recommend that either as you just introduce more variables that make it harder to replicate.

• No, we don´t have a Depleg there. Only the product condenser. Judging from all of your comments it seems that the GB run will be quite straightforward. This is encouraging!