StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

First Bubbler Run ruined by burnt taste & smell

2»

Comments

• I have to say that a rum ferment done without dunder or backset and run through a column at 95%+ is one of my very favourite white spirits.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Wray and Nephew is funktastic.

• Rum is high on my forthcoming agenda.

Whilst not a rum person and I doff to all those presently doing rum, my tastings so far are more in favour of wood aged rum. Why ... I found it smoother and better tasting. White rum (uanaged) I personally found a lot sharper and not as pleasant. Maybe it was just the particular rum that I tried ??

• edited January 2019

Hmm got me thinking. @punkin mentioning about rum run through a column at 95%. Currently I couldn't do anything like that because the long run duration (associated with the level of reflux required) means my rum gets burnt undertones. (I notice I get small black particles in the bottom of the boiler).

I came across the attached post about another SD customer stripping his rum first. I'm thinking I'm going to need to do this i.e. get the alcohol away from the sugar more quickly, then I've got all the time in the world to play around with reflux settings on the spirit run. A bit of a pain needing 2 runs (similar to my Pot Still), but it's the only way I think I'll be able to guarantee the same (or better) quality.

StillDragon Global Spirits

So, my second element controller is nearly ready. I'm going to run both elements pegged back to 2.5kW each and intend to strip it with this power level too (in my 100L Milk Can Boiler). What do people think, is this a sensible way to go given my burnt sugar issues in my molasses wash? Thanks in advance :-)