StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Offset Firebox Smoker Mods?

2»

Comments

• Not me, i tend to use a different stick, brick, screwdriver, kitchen bench, budgie etc for each bottlecap.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited October 2018

With teeth like these who needs a budgerigar?

image.jpg
    421 x 300 - 24K

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @Kapea said: Acutally, foreshots make a pretty passable charcoal lighter... in a pinch.

Right-e-o, and that's the particular pinch I'm usually in. Also, I've got loads of it/

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• @zymurgybob said: Right-e-o, and that's the particular pinch I'm usually in. Also, I've got loads of it/

Pack rat lol.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Packrat, BBQ arsonist, and/or bad liquor collector. Taker yer choice.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• edited October 2018

First-fire tonight. The thing has significant heat capacity. Took about 45 minutes to reach an even 250F across the grill tops. I put in some 1/8" sheet steel "tuning" plates to keep the firebox end from getting too hot. Pretty cool to watch the heat spread across the grates, and then level off. Looks like <5F difference across the grates. I have a high elevation OEM thermometer that came preinstalled, and I installed two more thermometers - 7" in from the left and right sides, mounted so the probe ends are 2" above the grates.

An interesting machine. It's gonna take me a few tries to figure out how to drive it. Still burning it in on the first run. Smells like when you install new mufflers and exhaust pipes. I brought home a pickup truck bed full of kiawe this weekend. Plenty of wood now.

• I turned the charcoal bed bit upside down in mine to act like a heat diffuser, worked well.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited October 2018

So that is it in the mounted position, i just strung two lengths of jack chain to hold it up.

bbq3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 62K

• I cooked a couple of spatchcocked chickens last night. I tuned the grill temp to 225F easily. It stayed right there for 3.5 hours, no adjustments needed. The 12" x 12" x 6" expanded-metal fire basket held plenty of fuel for the run. I added one small kiawe log about half way through.

The chicken cooked nicely and tasted great. Perfect amount of smoke. The breast meat was a bit on the dry side. Next time I plan to marinade the chickens overnight, and put a couple of small metal water pans on the grill grates to bump up the internal humidity. Shooting for huli-huli style chicken, without the "turn-turn".