StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

What is the best Sugar and Yeast?

2»

Comments

• Just for shits and giggles I just did a wash using liquid malt extract. It turned out pretty nice actually. 30kg of liquid malt extract, 200l of water add the water at 70deg. At 50C add some enzymes just in case. Added yeast at 30 and put the lid on the fermenter. Next morning bubbling like crazy. I let it go for about 10 days and then had to run it as I was out of time before I had to go on a week long business trip but I got about 7% ABV out of it and about 35litres of low wines. Tasted like a very light barley low wines. Definitely barley but just not full flavored. I would do it again as I think it would make very nice nice light whiskey blended with some moonshine and lightly wooded and add my south american woods. The only problem is getting the stuff from Buenos Aires.

• Geez you guys have it good. here in Aus, the current excise rate for spirits (regardless of if it's in a bottle or n an RTD) is $84.51 / lal (litre of pure alcohol) meaning that when a 700ml bottle of 40% leaves the bond store $23.66 is owed to the tax man. They then charge 10% gst on top of the sale price as well ie a tax on a tax.

Beer is more complex, it depends on the ABV% as well as the container size. Wine is different again, but winemakers get a massive tax break. definitely not a level playing field here.

• Well I am just in the process of buying my land and building my first shed but here in Argentina its 15% on the sale price. If you record the sale. The GST is 10.5% if you record the sale. Most alcohol transactions are in cash. Recently some journalists went to about 130 craft breweries in Buenos Aires. The found 2 that would accept an electronic transaction. Everyone else only accepted cash. But there is a reason I am doing this in Arg and not Oz. Although I do miss Oz a lot. I was born there, and I have 3 convicts in my family history if that counts towards Aussie Heritage.

Back on the topic of liquid malt I really like and it would make a nice light whiskey if its very lightly wooded.

• edited November 2018

Watch out you don’t become a later generation convict selling too much for cash in Argentina and upsetting the tax man.

You might wish you were back in Oz

• Malt extract is completely converted. No enzymes required. The maltsters are very good at what they do these days.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• is fructose good for fermentation. on the one hand it is a fast process and many people use fruits for schnapps which contain fructose. but on the other hand people are saying that it doesn't ferment well like @grim said "Corn syrup and Honey are among the most difficult to ferment, their high fructose levels are incredibly stressful for yeast ferments".thank you.

• Everything in distilling is “yes, but.”