StillDragon® Community Forum


Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Certification of StillDragon Still for use in AU/NZ

URGENT We are installing a 380L column still and our electrician engineer was surprised to find there is no documentation provided with it to show compliance with safety standards. StillDragon AU/NZ have told us they don't have their products certified. Given these are sold around the world it may be that we're missing something obvious, so would appreciate any information from people who are using these commercially. You can contact me on or +6421 826826 - thank you.


  • He can certify the heating element himself. Test earth leakage and cable.

  • I'm happy to help in any way i can.

    StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

  • edited August 2018

    Funny it sounds like your lying. And making a big fuss on the forum

  • I am an electrical engineer in the USA... and I know quite a few electricians, is there such a thing as an 'electrician engineer' down there?

    FYI - I presented the certification of the camco heating elements for my 380L when asked, but it is UL...

    Camco UL listing (PDF)

    Camco UL listing.pdf
  • edited August 2018


    We're not talking about coffee makers here, we're talking about complex installed systems, utilizing components from multiple manufacturers, including a significant amount of field-installed wiring, switch panels, control panels, solenoids and valves, sensors and recording equipment, and so on.

    If certification is required, it's generally the domain of field certification, not manufacturer certification. Even a relatively minor modification of a certified system renders the certification meaningless, which is why any kind of pre-certification is generally useless.

  • Yes but the system supplier surely is responsible for the upfront / initial supply of the data book.

  • @PBee is referring to the vessel. In Australia and New Zealand the manufacturer of the vessel needs to supply certification that the vessel was manufactured to numerous standards:

    (The following are referenced by the Australian Workplace Health and Safety Act, making them a legal obligation, not just a reference standard)

    AS1940:2017 - The storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids

    AS4343:2014 - Pressure equipment - Hazard levels

    AS/NZS60079 - Explosive Atmospheres

    Also, all vessels in New Zealand considered to have steam heated pressure parts [such as jacketed cooking pans and vessels, steam coils in tanks, calorifiers etc.] are subject to:

    1. The overriding New Zealand pressure vessel regulations [Pressure Equipment, Cranes and Passenger Ropeways Act or PECPR regulations] which require proof showing that vessels meet:
    2. The New Zealand seismic design code [generally NZS1170 Part 5]
    3. A Pressure vessel design codes [usually PD5500 or ASME or EN]
    4. And have regular inspections by a Third-Party pressure vessel Inspector

    I hope that explains the commercial aspects of building and supplying distillation equipment in Australia and New Zealand a little better?



  • My limited understanding is that a non-jacketed boiler/column etc used with <60% alc would not require any certification in Australia as long as the boiler is 'fit for purpose' (and under 60kl!).

    Electrical components in the Hazardous Area would need IECEx approval, I assume this would include the heating elements, temp probes etc. Control panels can be located outside the HA with use of safety barriers.

    Gas burners would need either type approval by AGA or individual certification by a gas fitter licenced to issue Type-B appliance approvals.

    Jacketed boilers become "pressure vessels" which then fall under AS1210 - a whole different headache, as is steam pipework - pressure piping AS4041.

  • Thanks, I forgot to mention AS1210.

    I assume your reference to <60%abv and less than 60kL is coming from Appendix F of AS1940:2017?

    Appendix F applies ONLY to pre-existing wine and brandy industries specifically.

    It also states that new installations are advised to comply with the bulk of the standard, in particular Section 3 and 5 or carry out ta risk assessment.

    Where the requirements of this Appendix need to be varied, either Section 5 shall apply, or a risk assessment conducted and appropriate control measures implemented.

  • Thanks, good point. I will endeavour to read the standard next time not just skim it.

    Does the 380l boiler actually constitute a tank? I'm not sure I can work out what it is, its less than the 450l threshold mentioned in AS1940.

  • Here's a direct quote that answers your question @Dreamer

    Note that any vessel containing 20% abv or greater is classified as containing a flammable liquid:

    Except for domestic premises, AS/NZS60079.10.1 shall be consulted for hazardous atmosphere zoning if the volume of the flammable liquid exceeds -

    1. 100L in a closed container
    2. 25L for decanting purposes, eg p[etrol tranfer to a motor vehicle or lawn mower,
    3. 5L in open containers for occassional use; or
    4. 1L in open containers for continuous use.

    There shall be no ignition sources in any space in which a flammable mixture of vapour and air could be present.

Sign In or Register to comment.