StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Column Packing

2»

Comments

• Can't wait to check it out next time I am back down that way.

• Somewhere there is a stainless version of this that I really like.

image.jpg
    183 x 152 - 10K
  • TMW, it's still VM. You've just managed the vapor with a fixed orifice.

I had a 4" x 48" CCVM packed with 36"s of those SPRINGS (SSP). But as I added a 50gal boiler and a sight glass, I switched to an SD super dephlagmator. Purely to keep my old ass of a ladder!

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Well spotted @dad.

That's it, oversize the the dephlag and remove the valve and next thing you know, life is pretty easy.

PS, lovely to see you again.

• what kind of ideas would everyone suggest for a continuous packed column with clear wort , well reasonably clear may be the odd chunk .

Tim

• If you were say to use Helical coil packing / SPP would it be such an issue to strip the column say one a month and clean and then repack ??

• Suppose that depends on the size of a column. Still trying to pull together all the parts for an 8" x 20' packed column. It would be nearly impossible to break down and repack.

• Steam blows. Drain the dunder out of the boiler. Rinse boiler. Fill boiler with clean water. Heat to create steam. Steam’s hotter boiling temp will drive off all unwanted carbon based residuals left in the packing (except puke residuals).

I do a steam blow on my packed column after each run. Being a gas-fired boiler means a couple of gallons heats quickly and get the job done. The smell of the steam will let you know when the job is done.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited May 2020

Just seen this old post.

I have just completed production of my new smaller diameter helical coils for my 80mm diameter column.

Here the two sizes are with the smaller below the above larger sizes.

What's really important about these coils is that they do not collapse under weight like the SPP's that are sold on eBay and come from Poland or wherever.

helical coils.jpg
    600 x 800 - 86K
  • Richard are you producing commercially?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Also, how many of you guys out there are running the lava rock?

• @Smaug said: Richard are you producing commercially?

YES, but have never tried to directly list on SD site for obvious reasons as this is an SD site.

• edited August 2020

@richard said: YES, but have never tried to directly list on SD site for obvious reasons as this is an SD site.

PM sent

• Have a look to your email.