table-esters-and-their-smells-v2-james-kennedy-monash.jpg
800 x 812 - 159K
Tagged:

Comments

• edited October 17

i found that table when reading about chill filtering

• edited October 17

Dropping down the left side:

• Methanoate - Formate - Formic Acid Esters - Not commonly found in distilling.
    • Ethanoate - Acetate - Acetic Acid Esters - Bacterial - Produced by a number of different bacteria
    • Propanoate - Propionate - Propionic Acid Esters - Bacterial - Produced by Clostridium and Propionibacterium
    • Butanoate - Butyrate - Butyric Acid Esters - Bacterial - Produced by Clostridium
    • Pentanoate - Valerate - Valeric Acid Esters - Bacterial - More common are the iso-Valerate esters - produced by Brettanomyces.

A number of the higher carbon carboxylics are produced during fermentation, Caprice, Caprylic, Lauric, etc.

Missing from the chart is another acid, it's not a carboxylic, but common - lactic. Which have a set of very important esters as lactic acid bacteria are very common.

• edited October 17

That's why I did this one. The most common ester combinations - given the most common carboxylics (and lactic) - and the most common alcohols, including methanol and the 4 most common tails alcohols.

cf0098e42b0c28f3f6769785e4aebc.jpg
    800 x 1743 - 242K
  • edited October 17

There is a very expensive book called Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients, Sixth Edition @ Amazon that has a table that also classifies most of these into sweet, bittersweet, and bitter, which is pretty fun in the context of cuts.

• Speaking of expensive books - if someone can gift me a copy of Flavor Creation by John Wright I would be really appreciative.

• Lol. Hold your breath.

Don't suppose you would Fenarolis table for us to view....

Great info there. Thanks for the work on it.

Are you a chemist or something? What's your background in this area? You always seem to have such insightful comments on chemistry.

• edited October 30

The tables are more extensive than just esters, it's a broad mix of flavor compound types.

Fenarolis-A.jpg
    609 x 686 - 53K
    Fenarolis-B.jpg
    612 x 859 - 61K
    Fenarolis-C.jpg
    611 x 867 - 61K
    Fenarolis-D.jpg
    608 x 877 - 60K
    Fenarolis-E.jpg
    609 x 886 - 65K
    Fenarolis-F.jpg
    610 x 870 - 62K