StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

1000L Pot Belly Boiler - How many 2 inch Heating Tri-Clamps?

As in the title, how many elements can I put into the 1000L pot belly without modifying it?

I was hoping to use these 3-phase elements but it seems they have 2" threads and won't fit and I'll have to go to their single-phase elements.

Comments

• 1.5" as opposed to 1". It wound not be all that expensive to get the 2" ferrules cut off and replaced with 3" ferrules to mount the bigger element. Quite easy.

• My suggestion would be.

1. The elements are incoloy as opposed to stainless steel. I am a fan of stainless steel.
    2. Contact an element manufacturer in your area and they can make up an element as per your requirements. This is a pricier option.
    3. Go to a SS pipe fitting company and ask them to make up an 2"/Tri-clamp element holder for you. This ultimately is the best and cheapest option.
  • Did you already buy a boiler? If not, why not just change it to match what you need?

• You can get 5.5kw heating elements with the tri clamp fitting already attached to them, on amazon if you look.

• edited August 2017

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I'm going to run these suggestions by my electrician. I suppose what I want to tell him the options are three 3 - phase 8500W elements (or more) if the boiler is slightly modified, or four 5500W single elements (if the boiler has four 2" tri-clamps) and see what he says suits the existing wiring and power supply.

@grim said: Did you already buy a boiler? If not, why not just change it to match what you need?

I haven't bought the boiler yet, SD Europe is closed until 3rd September so I haven't asked directly about it. The 1000L pot belly is listed as "Available from stock!" so I presume they are a standard item with a standard number of element ports? The listing says "X x 2 inch tri-clamp element port (direct heating with immersion heater)" so maybe that's not the case.

• edited August 2017

Sorry now i know the details about which and where i can say that the drawing i have of the 1000l that i believe you will be purchasing has 6 x 2" element ports. The reason we do them in banks of three is we have been advised that the electricians can split the 3 phase supply into 3 single phases and then run three large elements from there.
    I know that in Australia you can get custom elements built on a 2" TC (or any other) base, so would think that you could also find someone locally to do the same.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: I know that in Australia you can get custom elements built on a 2" TC (or any other) base,

I age it's possible, however theres a big problem in trying to fit 3 phase wiring into a 2" EGK. I have enough trouble fitting heavy gauge cable for a single phase 6Kw element in to the EGK.

Personally for the bigger boilers, I reckon you should develop a 4" GK to allow off the shelf 3 phase elements to be used. I think they come with a 2" boss.

• I believe the phases are split at the board. If i start bringing larger boilers in i will investigate larger ports.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited August 2017

@punkin that is definitely possible, however for bigger tanks higher power is required, at least to get up to temp quickly.

have a look at the 3 phase elements from TE (PDF)

Section 7.3 is the type of elements I'm referring to where the 3 phases are in the 1 package (ie 1 element per phase when star wired) with elements up to 20kW available off the shelf!!

• edited August 2017

If you haven't bought the kettle yet,,and it's not on their floor,, they (SD Europe) can have the kettle made to what ever you need. Just identify the elements and get a cut sheet to your SD distributor.

As a rule of thumb:

35 watts per liter = 2 hour heat up time

70 watts per liter = 1 hour heat up time

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I just ordered the still. Decided to go with the 3 phase elements I originally wanted and can get someone locally to make an adaptor for 1.5" female to 2" tri-clamp. The electrician said it's easier and simpler to use the 3-phase that is already in the unit.

Thanks for everybody and I'll post pictures when it all gets set up.