This recipe is for a 15.5 gal 2" keg potstill, I'll explain my recipe, fermentation and how I distill.
18lbs domino dark brown sugar
2 gal feed molasses
1/2 cup fleischmann's bread yeast
20 gal fermenter
- Heat up 5 gal of water to 150°f
- Add 2 gal of moll and dark brown sugar, I mix mine with a ss mortar mixer to aerate well.
- Once mixed thoroughly, the top off water to achieve 16 gallons.
- Take a temp reading, for me it's around 85-90°f
- Take .5 quart of wash and .5 quart water and pitch yeast in a gallon sized jug or equivalent, within 20 minutes it should've at least doubled in size.
- Pitch yeast into fermenter and give a gentle stir, put on the top and wait!!!
- At 90°f it should ferment dry in 3 to 5 days
- Since I run a thumper (15.5 gal) I'll normally run this in one run like a spirit run, I heat up pretty fast ( propane )
until things start moving along on their own, attach crossover to thumper and wait till I see some product flowing from the worm. I cut the hear down until I see a pencil lead sized stream flowing.
- I'll collect 1 pint of fores and early heads, then start collecting in small jars for the entirety of the run.
- Let your nose do the picking as yours and my taste may differ in what stays and is rerun later.
I hope someone will try this and see how it make a wonderful sipping rum either white or nuke aged or traditional aging.
I forgot to mention, I do large washes to accommodate my still and thumper.
If you decide to strip run this, it will produce 10 gal low wines at 35%
If you have some dunder (fresh or aged or infected) I suggest to add no more than 25% total volume for a spirit run unless you'd like to rerun it due to over funk!!!
Well that's my rum recipe, I hope to hear some feedback from anyone willing to share.