Moscca's 8" 3 Plate Rum Column

Today I started with my build. I decided to build when i found the stainless steel pipe very cheap here in Honduras. I payed for 4' 304 SS pipe, outside diameter 216, 3 mm wall thickness + 2 square SS plates of 9" the sum of 100 $. I will work with flanges, which I plasma cut and drilled at work. I made also one reduction from 200 to 216 mm for the connection at the still. Next swing I will make another reduction from 216 to 76 and cut 2 more flanges. I had a friend who works in the dairy industry who brought me the 3 3" ferrules and some 1/2 and 3/4 NPT nipples. He promised me to trow in also 2 3" 90° bends next time. All the other parts will be from SD. For the dephlegmator I looked at my 4" SD one. The height is 1,5 times the width, so I'm thinking of making this one 320 mm high. I will put 50 % more pipes, 12 pipes from 1 1/4". I will only making spirits run with this column.

Here some pics :

image image

My daughter promised to give me a hand :

I ran out of argon, this is how far i got :

1.jpg
640 x 480 - 54K
4.jpg
640 x 480 - 57K
2.jpg
480 x 640 - 57K
3.jpg
480 x 640 - 52K

Comments

• Nice going Moscca,It will be a nice piece of kit when you finish!

It is what you make it!

• Please keep us up dated. Black Coral Rum here in Florida has executed a similar build for his 7 plate rum system with SD parts.

Your little princess reminds me of mine. The girls are so smart and just the best little helpers ever.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited August 2013

Today I got my cooper plates

copper_plates.jpg
    800 x 600 - 60K
  • Hey @moscca how did you cut your copper plate so perfect?

The pic of your Daughter reminded me of my Son. He was arc welding in grade 10 and forgot to wear a long sleeve T-shirt. Needless to say, he learnt first hand about the affects of welding and sunburn [-(

• edited August 2013

@Philter said: Hey moscca how did you cut your copper plate so perfect?

The pic of your Daughter reminded me of my Son. He was arc welding in grade 10 and forgot to wear a long sleeve T-shirt. Needless to say, he learnt first hand about the affects of welding and sunburn [-(

Sometimes the hard way is the best way to learn !! She was only posing, no way I would involve her in welding.I had some neck burn from welding in a SS tank that took me months to recover. As for the copper plates : I orderd them this way 9" cirkels, was a bit cheaper then the squar ones. I still heve to machien them to the correct diameter. All 3 are a bit different, strange, but bigger then 9", so ok for me