StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Any interest, or suggestions on, a bolt-on still automation kit?

Answers

• Nice looking job ther RDD should work well.

OD

• @RedDoorDistillery that is one nice controller, u sure do a fine job, it inspires us to try and do as good as you do which makes us all...hum, well.... "A Cut Above". Keep us posted!! =D>

• I am convinced that automation will be the next big leap for home distilling, I am finding it to be more accurate and repeatable.

OD

• That is what I am hoping..Automation.... Did a 18 hr run this weekend. Pulled 40 gallons of 191 but had to keep babysitting it watching the temps and adjusting the reflux. Gets really boring......

• edited November 2013

@RedDoorDistillery, How is your controller progressing? I will be interested to see your results and whether they agree with mine.

OD

• @olddog The controller is all built expect I just figured out that I bought the wrong PID. I need one that will give me either 0-10v control signal or 4-20ma. The one I bought I thought could do that but now I realized that it is an SSR controller and will not do what I need it to do.

• Yes the first one I bought was like that, I had to buy a 220/110/ to 12 volt transformer and go through the relay output. It worked fine after that.

• My valve is not a solenoid valve. (On/Off) on a cycle. My valve is a Motorized Proportional Ball Valve. If it sees a signal of say 3volts it opens to a set mark and stays there. If the temp starts to go up or down the PID increases or decreases the signal to increase or decrease the contact flow so it is a bit different from what you are running with pulses of open close open close.

• Sorry RDD I did not realise you were using a proportional valve. Perhaps it might be worth having a chat with Swede, as he produces commercial panels. He is very helpfull, he helped me with a couple of problems.

OD

• @olddog Thanks for the inspiration on this. I had been thinking about it for some time but had just not pulled the trigger but after you built your first unit I knew I had to get of my ass and build mine.

So other then swapping out the new PID when it gets here (I ordered the wrong one the 1st time). The Controller is all built. My Valve is sitting above it on the table. Down the Left Side you have 3 Temp Displays (Boiler, Head, Parrot) and the PID will display the column temp just below the Dephlem. My valve is a Normally Open Valve so when it loses signal it defaults to Full Open. All I have to do is flip the Blue switch and it cuts the signal from the PID and puts the Dephlem into full flow to allow full reflux. The Yellow switch is just a kill switch for the Alarm. Right now I just have the 4 RTD PT100 Probes plugged right into the box these will be in the Still with leads between them and the control box but I need to make these cables custom length while at the distillery.

And this is what my wife came home to on the Dining Room Table.... Needless to say she was not happy with my mess... :-O >:)

1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 104K
    2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 119K
  • I originally ordered a valve like that, and after speaking to Swede I followed his direction by re-ordering solenoid valves.

OD

• edited November 2013

What about a raspberry pi controller as what's used in BrewPi?

• A parts list and wiring diagram would be very much appreciated for this build RDD Looks like a great Job

and something that a lot of us could put together with a detailed summary of construction/assembly as Olddog said automation is the future

• edited November 2013

^^^^^ I couldn't agree more! I am expanding my equipment really soon (can you say 380BMa?) and this would certainly make operation much more enjoyable.

My auber instrument cart is billowing over but i'm not 100% sure that all the components are correct for what i'm trying to do...

I have seen a Swede based controller in action and it is truly amazing! I feel like after repeated head bangings against the workbench i could get this to work but a comprehensive how to guide would be invaluable and such a time saver!!

• edited November 2013

Here is my finished unit in action.

OD

olddogs_controller_box.jpg
    800 x 600 - 97K
  • Still working out the bugs. New PID just showed up today but I could not find on that was the same 72mm x 72mm form factor that controlled current output so I had to go with a 42mm x 42mm one. Need to refit the case to hold it.

• edited November 2013

Bugger
    @olddog that unit is by far the best thing I've seen yet
    Well done
    Are you taking orders?

• I am building one for a member in NZ ATM

• I am happy building single phase units(3 wire) up to 20 amps for boiler control, but I am not familiar with the USA 3 phase (4 wire) supply so I will leave that to Swede.

OD

• OD,

Here in Sweden, virtually all households 3 phase 400volt and there is a so-called "Delta system" if I remember correctly ..

You can split this very easily by using each phase and neutral when you get out 3st 240 volts instead ... and of course there is a ground wire also ...and if you have secured 20amp 3 phase then you can get 3pc 240 volt 20amp

I think many countries in the EU have similar electrical systems ...

Cheers

• Fully understand how 3 phase works, most domestic supplies here downunder are 240v single phase., 3 Phase is used for commercial industrial use, so I would not have the facility to test 3 phase equipment. My knowledge is in electronics, not commercial wiring, so I will stick to single phase builds.

OD

• So i'm getting ready to buy some controller parts and i would like to have a PID control my boiler heat up to a point then stop and activate an alarm then be required to switch it over to manual mode for the remainder of the run. But its a little cloudy to me as to what ssr's and potentiometers to use to accomplish this. If @olddog or @RedDoorDistillery could shed some light on this for me that would be great!

• edited December 2013

If you use a PID to bring up to the boil you use a SSR40, but this cannot be used with a Pot and SSVR like used on the SD controller. To overcome this you would use a PWM module as I used in my controller. I connected the output of the PID and PWM through a DPDT switch so I can switch from PID control to PWM control. The only fly in the ointment is that the PWM control is a pulsed output, so the readout on my volt/amp meter pulses. You could have two separate systems, but you would have to use two SSR's , one SSR40 for the PID and an additional one to use with the SD do it yourself controller which would be a SSVR

OD

• edited December 2013

@olddog said: If you use a PID to bring up to the boil you use a SSR40, but this cannot be used with a Pot and SSVR like used on the SD controller. To overcome this you would use a PWM module as I used in my controller. I connected the output of the PID and PWM through a DPDT switch so I can switch from PID control to PWM control. The only fly in the ointment is that the PWM control is a pulsed output, so the readout on my volt/amp meter pulses. You could have two separate systems, but you would have to use two SSR's , one SSR40 for the PID and an additional one to use with the SD do it yourself controller which would be a SSVR

What PWM unit are you using? and are you using a SSR like this one?

Solid State Relay SSR-40DA 40A /250V 3-32VDC

• edited December 2013

DC 3-32V to AC 24-480V Solid State Relay SSR 40A w Black Aluminum Heat Sink

If you read Swede's thread you will see you have to change a capacitor to make suitable.

Mashing/Distillery Controller Build Thread @ AD

OD

• nice bit of kit there

• edited December 2013

Here is my latest build which will be shipped to a New Zealand member. It's single valve version, so the temp needs to be adjusted lower than the ambient temp to prime the dephlegmator prior to the column reaching temp for takeoff.

OD

olddogs_latest_build.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
  • Glad that worked out for the two of you.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• So glad @olddog got involved with this because I plan to pick his brain for not just me but for all StillDragon members to use and enjoy. OK with you OD?