StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Width Of Column, Vapour Speed, and Watts

2»

Comments

• @mark85 Result! That wouldn't work perfectly here, good idea though. I would have to put a good case forward to the boss of how the house looks. Commando - so that's what you call those sockets. I was initially imagining something completely different. :-) Going commando, or dangle free power commando would attract some kudos, and is a good conversation point when people visit. Cash does seem to drop costs considerably. Not surprising, given the fleecing we all suffer at every turn.

• edited May 2017

Never heard the term commando outlet but looked it up. That's the same as the 32 amp round pin socket I was referring to in my post. Yes you can get them as a fixed wall mounted outlet so it doesn't have to be a dangler. Then you just need the h/d extension cord but how you do the element end connection is a bit open especially to do on the cheap as those plugs are a bit expensive. You could use a Marachal decontactor but again expense.

• @flidget said: You may be lucky and get away with a 5.5KW single element, but if it starts a fire, you will get a severe spanking for DIY electrical work - especially as you would have had to use a 30A fuse from China that managed to slip through customs and trading standards. The EU is a very safe place to live, day to day.

The standard starter element for the 50L boilers common in the US market at least seems to be 4500-5500w.

I've been lucky enough to live In Countries where one can have both safety and freedom without government regulations to increase the cost.

Does the EU have some guidance on appropriate and approved power levels?

;p

• edited May 2017

@Fiji_Spirits You know what - I bet they do. There will be a whole EU committee considering that for 5 years or more. :)) I think things have improved over the last few years. At least now their accountants will sign off the EU accounts at the end of the year, and not simply resign.

• edited May 2017

@GD50 I expect I'll have to bite the bullet and your solution looks to be the best. I have a range of elements starting at 3KW, then 4.5KW, and finally 5.5KW. I can chuck in the 3KW initially to get things up and running, test the power controller, config, seals, arrangement etc.

• @GD50 said: Never heard the term commando outlet but looked it up.

Sorry, think it's a brand. I'm also the kind of person who will say "Hoover" instead of vacuum cleaner L-)

• @Fiji_Spirits. From what I can gather your a yank that has moved to a banana republic. Where are you as I lived there also ( but a long time ago. Suva Grammar attendee)

• @GD50 said: Fiji_Spirits. From what I can gather your a yank that has moved to a banana republic. Where are you as I lived there also ( but a long time ago. Suva Grammar attendee)

Currently in the hidden paradise of the north. I doubt things have changed much since you were here tho!! Lol. Technology seems to start and end with the cane knife.

• @GD50 said: Never heard the term commando outlet but looked it up.

I think that name is only used in the UK, not in the rest of Europe. In NL we call the smallest one (blue 16A single phase connector) the "camping connector" because it's most often seen at campsites. The three phase five pin versions which are red (16A, 32A, 64A) we just call a three phase plug, no other form factor seems to be used. There used to be 4 pin red ones which lacked the Neutral wire but I haven't come across those for years, my parents had that at their farm for a large air compressor.

• edited May 2017

• Forgot the link: IEC 60309 @ Wikipedia

• @squeakyclean. There is a variant in that link with a short pilot pin for pulling the plug under load. That is the same as the Marachal decontactor I mentioned but I have not seen that pilot version.

• @Fiji_Spirits Definitely hidden away now I know where you are. And i thought i was hidden away in my part of South Australia but i reckon your location is more so - and two absolute extremes of environment from me now. Love the airstrip there - used to shit everytime.

I don't know about cane knife . In my time there it was a dried out coconut. If you got cane a version of Cahacha or white run should be on the cards. I don't remember a sugar refinery for molasses but it was a long time ago. Dont know what you could do with coconut apart from lube your seals with the oil. I do remember Gin and Tonic was big at the old Planters Club west of town so there's an opening.

Which brings back a memory of the Fijian girls glistening with unrefined coconut oil on their body and in their hair and their smell. They were great days - to be young and silly again. I am afraid being old and silly does not quite cut it.

• Ah yes. The coconut flavored Fijian girls are still here and fun as ever. ;)