StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Newbie: 4 or 6 plate CD/Dash High ABV Product

2»

Comments

• @Clickeral said: fidget I normally mash weetbix and sugar for my vodka but tpw is a good base as well

I aim for a 10% mash into my 50L boiler I then run 6 procap plates and a 510mm stainless steel wool packed section with a non procap plate at the bottom to hold the wool in

Yep, this helps lots. Not to be taken the wrong way, but how many inches is your column (diameter), are you running 4" all the way to the dephlegmator?

• edited April 2017

4" the whole way with a 4-2" reducer ontop of my reflux condensor and a 2" shotgun condensor before the parrot

Can run about 4.5Lph on my stripping run with full reflux (super condensor) and 4800w

• So 45l strip i will chuck 400ml. Save a three strips then 45l @ 40% thru 12 plates i will chuck 4l prob 2 top 2 bottom plus 200 fores again. Then dilute to 45 l again @ 40% back thru 12 plates then chuck 100 fores prob 1 l top and 1 l bottom. So talking pure i would cut out from 130 l 10% (13l ) i would cut say 4.3 l pure ( some top some bottom ) So 33% gets my cut where you would cut roughly 50 %. TPW but about to change that and try Mickiboi's dual yeast brew Now i have the fancy carbon filter that is a piece of piss to use so i would run slowly thru filter @ 50% say three times then water down to 18 - 20 % and make gin.

• Taking as an example the six 4" pro bubble sections plus a 510mm 4" packed section column, such as @Clickeral describes above. If that was a few cm too tall for the room...

Would it be better to remove a bubble section, or reduce the length of the packed section, to bring down the overall column height?

• edited April 2017

@flidget said: Taking as an example the six 4" pro bubble sections plus a 510mm 4" packed section column, such as Clickeral describes above. If that was a few cm too tall for the room...

Would it be better to remove a bubble section, or reduce the length of the packed section, to bring down the overall column height?

I pulled two bubble tees out and ran 2 100mm 4" sections with plates in each one just didnt have a sight glass for those two :p pic as an example, I also used a block head top (please ignore placement of the PC as I have gone back to running it where the other 2" pipe is in that pic) if you cant tell the top is just touching the roof

You dont need a sight glass on every section, I normally run one at the bottom to watch for puking and then would do one in between the 100mm sections to watch for flooding (which I have only had once with procaps due to user error) I always do one under the packed section as well, im also using a super reflux so you could lose some height by going down to a smaller one

image.jpg
    450 x 800 - 62K
  • @Clickeral, great idea. Using a 100mm pipe would save 5mm on each middle CD bubble section and 12mm on every Dash Short section. The block-head top design (dash short 112mm + 5mm end plate = 117mm) instead of a bend (180 degree or 135 degree) that needs 125mm adds that precious space to optimise the fixed pipe lengths better.

Your perfectly maxed out on height. I assume you are not using the Milk Can Stand? How hot does your floor get - does that insulation also wrap under the bottom of the boiler and give some some heat protection to the floor?

• My floor is tile on concrete and have had no issues with heat, I normally put a towel underneath to catch any drips

I dont use a stand when I have this setup going, insulation doesn't go underneath but I have some spare if I wanted to in future

If I dropped out two more tees and went to more 100mm sections I think I could get a 7th plate in but the reward isnt worth the hassle

• edited April 2017

Interesting to see the RC double plumbed like that. Can only help whereas my 5" is only single piped and is no obvious problem. The fittings are there so why not. You have given me some ideas to see if i can fit my 500 section on top of 12 plates. I already us a T on top but it is 2" so if i use 5" i wont have to use the reducer. I will add it up.

@punkin If i remove a 5" bubble T what is the sight glass fitting . Is it a STD 3 " triclamp? Cant remember whats under there. I dont see a 5" endcap available either - Got any ?

• Yes 3 inch. No i dont have any 5 inch ec's. Dash tees are 155mm

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand