Gin Botanicals Amount

I want to try to make a Gin with a bag in the boiler.
Boiler is filled with 4L of 60% and I top up with 28L of water. (so the bag is submerged enough)
So I've 32L of 7,5% in the boiler.
I have found a recipe with 20gr Junipers per L of 60%
Do I just have to do 20gr x 32 ? (=640gr of junipers)

Tagged:

Comments

• Between 20 and 35g per liter is a normal amount of botanicals (including the juniper). 7,5% ABV seems like very little alcohol in the boiler, 30 to 40% is what most people seem to use. Get a smaller still, or make more gin ;-)

• @squeakyclean said: Between 20 and 35g per liter is a normal amount of botanicals (including the juniper). 7,5% ABV seems like very little alcohol in the boiler, 30 to 40% is what most people seem to use. Get a smaller still, or make more gin ;-)

It's a small amount 7,5%, but I think if I use less volume in the boiler my bag will not be submerged enough or the bag will touch the element. And is my calculation of total boiler volume (alc. + water) x 20gr a good formula? And why is 30 to 40% better than 7,5% ?

• How much separation do you plan for? If you go from 7,5 to 40% ABV (end therefor don't dilute the end product) you'll probably have to much botanicals. If you distill from 30-40 and end up with 68-72% ABV and dilute from there these amounts of botanicals (20-35g/l) are about right. But you can just try it from 7,5%, if it's too cloudy dilute with neutral and calculate a smaller amount of botanicals for the next try.

• I always base my botanical amounts on the volume of finished product, not volume in the boiler.

• @crozdog said: I always base my botanical amounts on the volume of finished product, not volume in the boiler.

And what formula do you use?

• Gin is a very personal thing, I suggest developing your own spreadsheet like most of us have.

in relation to rates and ratio's have a read of the gin guide I wrote

• @crozdog said: Gin is a very personal thing, I suggest developing your own spreadsheet like most of us have.

I'll try to do this in a few tests, thx.

• @crozdog said: Gin is a very personal thing, I suggest developing your own spreadsheet like most of us have.

Where can i find your Gin guide @crozdog? Cheers

• StillDragon manuals thread pinned to the top of the forum page.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand