Thumper Question

This discussion was created from comments split from: Welcome to our Beginner's Talk Category!.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

Tagged:

Comments

• Thumper question... How much, if any, water do you "pre-load" thumper with?

• edited February 20

Hi @NorthState,

As a general rule,,just enough to cover up the vapor inlet pipe. However the Carribean rum method will be a bit different. Though it is still up to the distiller to determine liquid levels. Results can vary.

One assumes no more than a third full is a good place to start. You can read a bit more here.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Smaug said: Hi NorthState,

As a general rule,,just enough to cover up the vapor inlet pipe. However the Carribean rum method will be a bit different. Though it is still up to the distiller to determine liquid levels. Results can vary.

One assumes no more than a third full is a good place to start. You can read a bit more here.

Thanks Smaug!

• in my experience the slower you heat up the more your thumper will fill, when I'm heating up I go hard and fast to get the thumper on line as quickly as possible. I do fill mine 2/3 full (10-11 gallons) as I'm trying to strip as much as possible to get the most low wines I can. Doing it this way I can get 10 gal of low wines for a spirit run, I usually end up with close to 3 gallons of good sippin likker, 2.5 if I'm conservative with my cus but with rum and bourbon close to 3. Also depends if I plan to barrel age or drink white.