StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Wineo's Apple Pie

Comments

• I made up a ~ 10L batch. And then the misses wanted to make Christmas puddings for family and asked if I had any 'brandy'... I said "smell this" does this smell xmasie enough? So in go'es a good 2L

• @Law_Of_Ohms said: I made up a ~ 10L batch. And then the misses wanted to make Christmas puddings for family and asked if I had any 'brandy'... I said "smell this" does this smell xmasie enough? So in go'es a good 2L

sounds good after making my first batch it lasted all of a few days and i had it under lock and key a truly amazing recipe

• Exactly what I've been saying. You build an Apple Pie and it is gone as fast as you clarify it but no one markets it. Someone is missing a golden opportunity here.
    We all know that good Apple Pie is not easy to produce but isn't that exactly the reason we do it?

• edited December 2013

@Law_Of_Ohms said: I made up a ~ 10L batch. And then the misses wanted to make Christmas puddings for family and asked if I had any 'brandy'... I said "smell this" does this smell xmasie enough? So in go'es a good 2L

@CothermanDistilling said: I would like to make a nice stainless weight to hold the fruit under... then maybe a press to dry out half of the apples, or maybe try with only half the apples.. this is a 2 gallon jar the wifey picked up for me... I should a put a 'raisin screen' over the spigot... the mason is the last batch aging, the gallon is the berry bliss...

I just put a 5lt batch down and used a SD 4" filter disk on the top of the floating apples then a few s/steel scrubbers on top of that, then the lid on, everything is pushed under the liquid perfect with this setup.

I should have put the cinnamon sticks on top of the filter disk for easier removal in a few days...

I also really wanted to toss a vanilla bean in the jar as well, but held back until maybe a smaller test batch.

Fadge

fadges_apple_pie.jpg
    800 x 600 - 65K
  • edited December 2013

recycled apple pie !!!!

ok i didnt think much of it at the time
    but having @Chalmer join me for a few and being told i only have 8 days to get my shit together
    i filtered the seconds apple pie
    here it is

i thought this was a little bitey but still in par for the recipe

sorry @chalmer i should have filtered it a day earlier :x

what can i do

this has the craisans and left the cinnamon sticks left in i didn't take them out and i think it is perfect

coops_filtered_apple_pie.jpg
    800 x 600 - 101K
  • Lol I'm glad I put mine in the freezer when I left. Got some mixing to do when I get back.

• edited December 2013

@fadge said: I also really wanted to toss a vanilla bean in the jar as well, but held back until maybe a smaller test batch.

I threw half a bean in with the batch I'm currently making. The flavour and smell seem to blend well with the brown sugar. I also used cassia bark instead of cinnamon, it has a lighter, fresher smell and taste. If the finished product has a bit too much kick after soaking everything I plan on cutting it with a little apple juice from the supermarket.

• edited December 2013

Yesterday I filtered my recycled run of APM today I baked a pie
    To see what would come of the apple raisin sensation
    I cooked it good and slow maybe 6 hours
    This is my first pie and a first with the used apples
    I haven't tried it yet but will let you know how it goes
    The apples are very alcoholic so cooking it slow I'm hoping allowed for some of the liquor to evaporate and leave a nice sweet but noticeable flavour
    I just used pie crust dough mashed up a heap of the apples mix
    And put it in layer some across the top and made a butter and brown sugar solution and poured it over the top
    Banged it in the oven @ 170c for about 6 hours

Looks good not sure how she will taste

coops_apm_apple_pie.jpg
    800 x 600 - 99K
  • If it doesn't taste any good you can buy a pie that huge wad of cash you have in your wallet. I'm keen to know if it was tasty!

• edited December 2013

we turffed it the fruit was to rich in alcohol if i cooked the fruit first to boil off some it it may be good but for all interested i would try another method @cunnyfunt that wallets full of ten yen coins! :))

• My experience has been the apples taste bad after making Apple Pie but keenly interested in Coops' experiment in reclaiming them as eatable. Others have said they would do it but so far Coop is the only one that I know of that has posted any results.
    After I make Apple Pie my apples tastes sour/bitter and not sure how to fix that.

The pie was a great trick @cooperville and looked the stuff. I figure to recycle the apples into a pie the fruit would need to be boiled in sugar water for quite some time to be useable. A bit of citric acid might help too but more experimentation on that would be needed.

Great stuff Coops for leading the way.

• edited December 2013

Thanks @Lloyd so on a good note this batch of apples was used twice and the second run of APM came out just as well as the first so I think this is a bit of a plus all I did was add another batch of neutral and three cinnamon sticks removed sticks after a week and off we go 3 weeks later I have filtered and bottled for Christmas

• My favorite! Apple pie. Yea not a fan of fruit that has been in likkker. Hope it is good , looks like it is good. Id try it.

• Made it up for family and friends this holiday season, exactly as described using a close-to-neutral sugar wash (mostly white with a little Panela).

I used only the brown sugar (no extra white to sweeten it), half Granny Smiths and half Red Delicious.

I said GODDAMN!

4 days is a perfect time for the cinnamon too. I left a tester with cinnamon for a few days longer and it got bitter.

Tastes great after 10 days, even better after 20. This is a keeper for sure.

• I wonder if I could throw the old apples into my juicer :)

• edited March 2014

@Duck0fDeath, the juicer works well. I gave my apples from 4 gallon jars to a friend of mine and he git 2 quarts from them and said it was good. I think if it was too strong mix it with the first sruff and it should even out nice.

• I recently found a bottle of this that had been lost on a shelf for about 3 years. In my opinion this stuff just gets better and better with age.

• @SBB_ said: I recently found a bottle of this that had been lost on a shelf for about 3 years. In my opinion this stuff just gets better and better with age.

Were the apples still identifiable or just mush?

• I'm guessing it's a filtered bottle.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Might be. I have some apples on neutral for about a month now and they look pretty used up.

• Yes it had been filtered and bottled, before getting lost.

• At what point are you guys finding the apples pretty well sucked dry?

• 3 or 4 weeks and they start looking like a display at a mausoleum.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Mine are definitely there. Time to pull and filter. The one thing I do remember is that apples are worse than angels when it comes to taking a share.....

• Evening Chaps, With the risk of sounding stupid... how many apples do you use per qt?

• edited March 2015

Recipe, method and photos on page 1 of this very thread. First post.

• Just pulled and filtered and almost all of the alcohol is gone! Gonna have to start using about 75abv to have anything left. Apples are theives!

• edited March 2015

how do you know the alcohol is gone?

You can't use the alcometer to measure as it's no longer a straight alc/water mixture. Better drink it and see if you fall down, i reckon you will.

• Lol @punkin. @FloridaCracker he's right about the mixed solution bit, seems like a "bioassay" may be the most reliable testing method at this point :)

• @punkin said: how do you know the alcohol is gone?

You can't use the alcometer to measure as it's no longer a straight alc/water mixture. Better drink it and see if you fall down, i reckon you will.

OK, I did put the alcometer in it and it went down to zero. I guess I feel better because I was thinking that it was weaker than a beer now.

So if I drink a pint, I should know pretty soon?

lol