StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Starting The Build

Comments

• :)

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited December 2016

Bottom drain

I already have a 3 piece valve

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 106K
  • quick question;

While reading, I came across the suggestion that a shotgun works best in the vertical. For pot stallion', is it as big of a thing?

Should I be looking to 180 over?

T

• Best? Available surface area and coolant flow/temps dictate.

Can only speak for our design that has 7/10mm tunes running through a 50 mm x 500 mm shell.

You'll be able to orient on an angle or upright without any real noticeable difference in performance.

Most folks planning for a build really just need to consider their collection height.

Can position your PC accordingly.

• Ah sorry...seven 3/8" tubes in a 2" x 20" shell.

• On thanks Just wanted to make sure I am planning the build correctly

• There'll be a tiny amount of pooling at the top when you angle it. That's propavly what they're talking about but it's not big deal.

• @jacksonbrown said: There'll be a tiny amount of pooling at the top when you angle it. That's propavly what they're talking about but it's not big deal.

Ah true

• so no issues running off a 45 degree bend then?

• I have a question about back pressure on a pond pump, or rather how to relieve it if I am using a needle valve to control the flow out of the shotgun.

• @Txbrewing said: I have a question about back pressure on a pond pump, or rather how to relieve it if I am using a needle valve to control the flow out of the shotgun.

Have a "T" in the line with the overflow going back into the tank

• @FloridaCracker said: Have a "T" in the line with the overflow going back into the tank

This.
    Have a tee before the condensor. Pretty sure croz covers it in the Dash manual. Worth a read even if you are pot stilling.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I read most of it. May have missed that section. And yes it is great information

• edited December 2016

Something like this is good.

1.jpg
    450 x 304 - 14K
    2.png
    250 x 213 - 2K
  • I am all out of sad stick figure operated valves. And the SDNA is out as well

• @Txbrewing said: I am all out of sad stick figure operated valves. And the SDNA is out as well

Lol.

• edited December 2016

My new, all SS 5500w element.

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 64K
  • edited December 2016

Ok, so got some funds for Christmas, working on the last bit of $$$ I need to order the things for the build But here is what I am thinking

Keg has a 4 inch opening:

4x2 concentric reducer

2 inch sight tower

2 inch 90

2 inch 45

2 inch long shotgun

2x 3/4 reducer

I am really ready to get started, I have my retirement party end of April, and I would like to have something ready by then.

TXB

• If you are able to do it...... try go for either 6" or better still 8* opening with reducer to 4". So much easier to clean the keg.

• The keg opening is already welded.... I figure with a pressure washer and bottom drain, I should be ok, or I hope anyway.

TXB

• I can get my arm in a 4" to clean, just.

• Guys, I have been going back and forth for a few weeks trying to find my way ahead. The original plan for my pot still was just a simple 2" copper still head mounted on a keg.

After lots of back and forth, I really think that is what I want to do. It will save me some money up front and allow me to learn a bit about the craft. And, I really want the labor of love of building it myself.

All that being said, the Baby Dragon has caught my attention and will be next up on the list.

Thanks to everyone at SD and this forum for all the help and input, If appropriate, I will post a pic of the finished still here. If not, I will still have questions to ask along the way. This has become my favourite forum, I love the ease of communication and the friendly vibe.

TXB

• Whatever you end up building TXB, and I totally concur on a pot still, consider a design where you can bolt on bits as your needs and interests change i.e. having flanges you can bolt on to with regular triclamps! Best of luck cheers!

• Build is complete, some cleaning and controller work then she is ready to rip tater-chip

• pics or it didn't happen

• well, it is a simple copper build, so was not sure if it appropriate to post here...

• Sure why not? We are a distilling forum first. You are not linking directly to a competitor.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited January 2017

Just a simple pot still.

I cleaned it with a green pad and 1:1 water / vinegar today so she is a lot prettier

Wired up most of the controller today, just need my strain reliefs and I can wire the power in and out..

TXB

image.jpg
    564 x 800 - 61K
  • I think you will be very impressed at what a taller column will do, especially with the 20" shotgun PC.. please post on here when you do get it, and show others the path to enlightenment :-)

oh, and if you get the 4x2 torpedo reducer and a sight glass lens/o-ring/tri-clamp , you can both fill and watch for foaming...

• That was the plan..... Current specs: 13 inch riser 44 inch 3/4" total condenser length 30 inch 1" water jacket

New plan

Baby Dragon!!!!!!

TXB