Sterlco 56T Temp Regulated Valve

I just discovered these wonderful devices in my quest for low cost cooling water automation processes. Has anyone used these things and are they worth a crap?

Also what is an affordable way to adjust my water flow to my reflux condensor based on output temps? Any good DIY links with parts lists?

Cheers
Steve

Comments

• edited September 2016

Looks similar to Danfoss AVTA. There's some threads on it here and here.

• Great way to run a product condenser, but getting it to work is going to require some fabrication, since there isn't an easy way to get that big honking probe into a product condenser easily. See Cotherman's threads, he has the best setup. The Danfoss valves are used on the fancy german stills, so consider that too.

But I would argue they aren't a good way to run a reflux condenser, as they lack flexibility in managing RC temp, and thus reflux ratios. If I had to choose between a manual globe valve and something like this for RC, I'd go with the manual valve.

• agree 100%.. PC temp control and water efficiency is something I have not had to even think about in 3 years....

the 2nd link @Unsensibel gave is the best to read:
    Thermostatic Valve Installation on Product Condenser

• edited September 2016

I put a rotameter with a needle valve on my reflux condenser. It's manual, but it allows very fine repeatable tuning.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.