StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Too Late To Stop

2»

Comments

• edited October 2017

I dunno about masceration - if your goal is big flavor, I suppose it’s an approach.

What is MOST interesting to me is botanical fidelity. Getting a crisp, clean, fresh, distinguishable flavor and aroma. I find the masceration and atmospheric distillation tend to create a very muddled flavor profile. Not that there isnt a lot going on, but that it’s pretty hard to pick out individual flavors easily.

Ive been playing with cold vacuum distillation and more simplistic flavor profiles and the response from trial batches has been amazing.

“I have never tasted anything like this”

“I hate gin but this is amazing”

“This is incredible the flavors are so fresh”

Problem is it’s complex, and some botanicals still need to be distilled in a single pass - for example to remove terpenes of specific botanicals. Some terpenes are good, other terpenes create that flavor haze. Also, vegetable, cucumber needs a very specific process to create a really clean distinct cucumber that stays.

Agree on doing everything possible to not have to dilute. The other issue with post process dilution is that you are adding oxygen.

• @GD50 yes as a "professional" I have other priorities and quantity is one of them, never worried I might make to many bottles, only too few... Didn't realize the limit on the amount of botanicals you can put into the GB4, I put the botanicals (app. 14 kilo) directly into the boiler so don't have that limitation.

• edited October 2017

I just put a fresh cucumber slice in my glass when in the mood for cucumber.

GB4 volume limitation has two potential solutions:

Put a deflegmator upstream of the basket. Run it in 100% reflux while doing a botanicals changeout (I call this the "stepping on the clutch" method).

Run two GB4s in parallel with a 3-way valve upstream. Run vapor through one basket at a time. When the first basket is exhausted, valve over to the second basket and recharge the spent botanicals in the first.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited October 2017

One of my happiest days was the day my GB4 arrived. It has provided me with countless hours and liters of entertainment. An awesome piece of equipment.

I call my GB4 Joelle, after Joelle Carter the actress from the TV series Justified.
    All of my machines have names. They run better than nameless ones.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• You can also just switch off the power for a minute to change baskets.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand