StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

DragonFire Alcometer - Lead Balls for Ballast?

edited August 2016 in Accessories

So I needed to stir a liter of yeast hydration and I had a DragonFire Alcometer sitting there so the tip broke off in the yeast and I didn't realize it cause all the sticky yeast clinging and when rinsing out the beaker I saw the little black balls. Are these lead? They are in my fermenter now...

Comments

• Just thinking if they are lead they are so small that a ph of 3.9 when finished they may have dissolved a lot of lead into the wash. I tried a magnet and they didn't stick so....

• Yes mate lead.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Distilling should leave the lead behind I would think but you'll want to give it a good clean after.
    Prolonged exposure is when you need to worry.
    I've gone through a lot of lead split shot for fishing. Also a lot in bunnies and ducks too.
    I'm fine :-S @-) =))

• Shit. That's not good. Should I dump the 50gal of wash?

• What I mean is will lead come up a column? Half the balls were caught by the epoxy in the alcohmeter so just a little glass and lead in the bottom of the fermentor that can stay there when I rack it off.

• I can only say what i'd do but can't advise you on your own choices.

My decision would be based on the value of the wash (an allgrain i had spent dollars and time on versus a sugar wash) and the fact that i spent most of my childhood walking round with a mouthful of lead pellets waiting for a bird to show itself.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• My old man has had a slug under the skin, just above his eye since he was a kit. Radiographers love it.

• No worries, there is more lead in a pork bun on the street in Shanghai.

• I'll just let it run its ferment and see. First time with this recipe so I will just get familiar with it and the lead nutrients....

• edited August 2016

FWIW
    In the US, action level concentration for lead in drinking water is 15 micrograms per liter
    or 15 parts per billion.

That's like finding 15 cents in $150 million.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• This came up in conversation the other day.
    Some here might find it interesting.

• Im with you @punkin . Spent half my youth with lead slugs in my mouth same with my wife ( poor birds ) but she uses that as an excuse as to why her brain is so = well = strange.

• edited August 2016

Make that 15 cents in $10 million (oops)

If it were me, I would not use the lead contaminated mash, but everyone has to determine their own tolerance for risk for themselves.

And, buy yourself a real stir stick. ;)

• I would dump it. Usually your wash gets pretty acidic and that's what's leaching the lead out. Inn the end is just money and you only have one body/brain

• syphon off the wash throw away the trub and yeast bed... no pellets would be in the wash then ... if they haven't been in the wash long prolly ok but its your call happy stillin,

FS

• I've been told that I have two brains; one in my head and one in my, well, forget it.

• edited August 2016

@FloridaCracker said: I've been told that I have two brains; one in my head and one in my, well, forget it.

...and only enough blood supply to run one at a time?

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• How many mg of lead are in 50kg of cereal grain as a result of pollution? About 5-10mg?

• edited August 2016

It's the dissolved solids that are the problem.
    5-10mg = 5000-10000µg
    50gal = 189L
    10000µg/189L = 53µg/L
    53ppb potential lead contamination.

• So what was the outcome? Were the OP's lead balls big enough to run the wash?

• Yea I ran it. Ferment went as planned. Racked it off the top, put the yeast and lead down the drain and flushed the dunder as well. Sucked cause this was my first run of it and needed the dunder but didn't want it if it had lead in it. Oh well try #2 is clearing now so I'll be back on track...