StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

I'm here

Just called to say G'day

OD

Comments

• Welcome olddog, very nice to see you again.

• Howdy. Still Building?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Not building any more Garry, now 71 and enjoying retirement

• It's a loss to the craft.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Welcome Mike. Glad you stopped in to have a look.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Hi and welcome OD, yours flute build tread is what inspired me to begin with plates ;-)

• He inspired a whole new industry.

• OD is the father of the Flute ;-)

• OD!!! Good to see you here!!

• :)>- OD,good to see you out and about!

It is what you make it!

• Welcome Sir! Even Old Dogs can find a new home on occasions..... ;)

• G'day OD. Wow feels a bit like when Bokakob popped up on HD a few years ago.

• Welcome, OldDog.

• Yes my building time has come to an end, I have decided to pass the names and designs onto other who may be interested. See my post on HD

OD

• No? Link? I don't peruse there.

• edited July 2013

From Australia? Thinking who i'm thinking? Nah he wouldn't :))

Must be emptyglass.

• No its not the Full of Shit Department. I did not know they existed until I saw it mentioned in Festers thread. What a wanker, he has never had an original idea in his life, he copied from me, now hes copying Still Dragon. It would have been good it Lloyd took up the Flute name range, but I guess Still Dragon has a strong name now too.

OD

• We don't use the Flute name for our Dash series of modular stills so I don't see the benefit to SD except to piss off the folks that do plagiarize the name. And combat with a competitor is just a waste of time and effort. So is trying to thwart their imitation efforts at our product line. If I could see a benefit I'd join in the bidding. We don't have exposure on HD because of a riff between Tater and me years ago (Sinophobia) so I see no gain there. We could take out a paid ad on AD like Hillbilly did but I fail to see the need unless to simply counter a competitor.

So far we are growing too fast for our britches and our goal of having everything in stock and ready to ship 'right now' has not been as stellar as I'd hoped. Our inventory tracking and management has been less than adequate so far - yet we are still trying to supply the parts as quickly as we can.

I'm groping for the need to own the bragging rights but I just don't get it yet.

• @punkin said: From Australia? Thinking who i'm thinking? Nah he wouldn't :))

Must be emptyglass.

Your right, he wouldn't

• Go ahead EG ... you da man

• Yes FS you have hit the nail on the head, EG will inherit the Flute legacy for the Australian region. I have seen his work and I am happy that he will respect the brand. I look forward to seeing any future developments he comes up with. I don't see any conflict with Stilldragon, as EG only works with copper.

OD

• EG's a good guy. I do remember another bloke who only worked with copper and reckoned it was superior in every way to stainless until he saw a buck in it :))

NotSuchAGoodGuyPunkin

• Yeah but you have to have "Mac" in your name for that.

OD

• I hope to do a good job. I got no problem with stainless stills, but the guys here make a pretty good one. Making stainless localy in Australia is not economical. I can make copper ones here in Oz and still keep them affordable. Punkin, your not the only one to notice the change.

• @olddog said: Sorry Garry

I am going to offer to the highest bidder all design ownership and naming rights of the Magic Flute, & Flute MkII

I have received a few offers so far from USA and Australia

This is Wery Interesting, just have to ask What is it that Hillbilly stills have registered - protected as their own, I thought that this was the Name Flute and this solution with 1pc water input and 2pc taps on the product cooler ....

Cheers

• edited July 2013

@harley said: This is Wery Interesting, just have to ask What is it that Hillbilly stills have registered - protected as their own, I thought that this was the Name Flute and this solution with 1pc water input and 2pc taps on the product cooler ....

When I first read this post I was not sure whether it was a serious question or just a stir. I will answer it as a serious comment.

I certainly do not claim to have invented a column still but I was inspire by the commercial designs to try and downscale them for hobby use. Firstly I tried to replicate a Coffey still and built a two column plated still I called The Evil Twins, this worked to a degree but not to my satisfaction. During this period I was enlisted by Joe (Rednose) on a consultancy basis to help him design his plated columns for his micro distillery. Inspired by his build I decided to see if this could be reduced further to operate from a keg boiler for hobby use. My Flute build was completed and tested with great results in June 2010, others like Mr Spooky and Kentucky Shiner were impressed with my results and decided to build this type themselves and also got the same results. The name Magic Flute was announced as the name of my still in June 2010, Kentucky Shiner announced the name of his build as a Hillbilly Flute in Sept 2010 which was 4 months later. The column still known as the Magic Flute was the first of its kind to operate successfully in a downsized version to run from a keg boiler for hobby use, all other built after this are copies of my original downsized concept. The timeline is clear and can be seen in the posts on HD.

OD