Trying to build a Recipe for Red Winter Wheat and/or Millet

I am trying to make a recipe for a wash from red winter wheat and/or millet or use them together.. I am not real good with grains yet. If someone has some pretty precise instructions on this matter I would be forever grateful..

Mountaineer

Comments

• edited July 2013

@Mountaineer, a really nice detailed writeup by @RedDoorDistillery is available here.

• I quite like a simple sour mash (UJSSM-style). This was my take: 30L total volume 4.5kg millet 4.5kg sugar 1t citric acid (1st gen only - to lower pH) 7.5L to 100% backset (subsequent gens) 120ml (1/2 C) yeast

Throw the millet into a cooler with 10L of boiling water and leave it overnight. Mix in the sugar while hot - or heat it separately in 5L water with 1t citric acid and simmer for 20 mins if you wish to invert it. Add both to fermenter, top up to 30L, aerate for 30 mins, check temp and pH and add 120ml yeast. Fermentation should take around 3 days at 25-30C. Leave a few more days then stir to remove dissolved CO2 and crash cool for 24 hrs before racking into your boiler. For subsequent gens add a few litres of water to the fermenter immediately after racking off for stilling. Keeps the yeasties viable. Use at least 7.5L (25% of 30L total vol) hot back-set straight from the still to dissolve the sugar (I used 100% of the back-set) add to fermenter when temperature is 30C or less. Top up to 30L, aerate and adjust pH using calcium carbonate.

Replace the millet after 5 gens. Soften it in backset in a cooler and dissolve the sugar. Aerate and add fresh yeast when below 30*C.

This same recipe works well with most/all grains.

• Thanks fester for the info.. I need to build me a small wort chiller. take about 30 mins I think I have the stuff here at the house...

Stinger thanks man for the info...

• +1

I dilute to 27% abv with wash and simply pot distill for the strip run as Punkin suggested.

Although we are not much familiar with whiskeys around here, me and all my friends like the millet whiskey, more than the corn and barley.

• @ Mountaineer

I have the enzymes to do a mash as per RDD, but haven't yet used them. I didn't see any advantage in flavour when I mashed millet and 2-row in my Braumeister. In fact I thought it was less flavourful.

When doing a simple sour mash I've been cooking 1/3 of the grains for 8-10 hours/overnight in slow cooker(s) and pressure cooking the rest using the pot-in-pot method. I didn't know that I was utilizing the maillard reaction to get such good flavour until Odin wrote it up on AD and/or HD and actually complained that it brought out too much flavour.

IMHO, the maillard reaction definitely kicks up the flavour of a sour mash many notches. I've used it with great success on feed-grade rye - which tastes like grass (the lawn kind) if you chomp on a few raw grains, but entirely different - tasty and pleasant - after "maillardization".

OTOH, nothing beats the satisfaction of producing a good AG whisk(e)y.

• @mountaineer, have a search on Aussiehomebrewer for recipes by "Milletman". he posted a lot of info on his millet experiments a while back before he went commercial with his results