Helpful Android Mobile Phone App

Just found this and thought I should share with the rest of you: StillMate @ Google Play

Comments

• been using it for a couple of years - my go to app when calculating dilutions

• edited July 2016

Any formula for easy presentation and use is great.

Just saw the App calculation for wash at 10% ABV which they gave as 53.114 % alcohol in vapour.

I got off the Internet a calculation the other day which gives in my Excel formala calculation a slightly different answer i.e. a bit higher.

Not sure if this is efficiency related or mine is wrong.

Does anyone have a more exacting calculation. ..... Also the temperature addition was of interest.

formula.jpg
    766 x 103 - 15K
  • Most of these things are just a polynomial curve fitting to a data set so none are spot on.
    The real world won't match the data sets anyway as even the walls of a pot still provide reflux and a reasonable ABV bump.
    It's interesting stuff to explore but there's little point chasing acuracy to the 'nth degree in a practical sense.

• @jacksonbrown said: Most of these things are just a polynomial curve fitting to a data set so none are spot on.
    The real world won't match the data sets anyway as even the walls of a pot still provide reflux and a reasonable ABV bump.
    It's interesting stuff to explore but there's little point chasing acuracy to the 'nth degree in a practical sense.

+1 What with having to factor in ambient room and coolant Temps etc.....

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Room temp is a huge one (coolant temp less so in a pot IMO).
    I remember I was running outside one day with an VM and taking off at a slight trickle.
    A front came through and the temp plummeted.
    The take off slowed which brought the RR closer to 100% and the ABV shot up.
    Had I been operating as an LM (like at the start of the run) the RR would have gone the other way.
    Then a drizzle started and it went into 100% RR because I didn't have any insulation and the whole column was acting like an RC.
    A very similar effect happens on the dome and lyne of a pot. Surface area plus a bit of passive reflux falling back to the boiler equals a bump in ABV.
    For the data to be 'true' you need zero reflux flowing back to the boiler which is practically impossible.

• StillMate sounds good will give it ago.

• Best apps are: Spirit Calc and Moonshine Calculator

• edited July 2016

I inserted an efficiency and it nows seems to behave and now corresponds with other examples I have.

The base formula that I use before percentage is applied ....is ... =-(31.065POWER(D28;6))+(116.08POWER(D28;5))-(169.95POWER(D28;4))+(123.99POWER(D28;3))-(47.195POWER(D28;2))+(9.1938D28)

formula.jpg
    800 x 101 - 17K