Pimpinella

make a one litre mix using neutral acohol diluted to 40% by using Natvia Stevia cold syrup (1/4 cup Natvia dissolved in 500 mls boiling water from the kettle) +15 drops of Aniseed essential oil - stir well- too easy! - tastes like white sambucca without that really cloying sugary syrup

Pimpinella anisum - scientific name of the true Aniseed plant

Comments

• Interesting, I haven't heard of anyone using stevia as a sweetener in spirits yet.

• Anchor Distilling's Old Tom looks like it's sweetened with Stevia, a quick browse of the TTB - looks like there is a stevia sweetened wine on the US market.

• edited June 2016

I find sugar based syrups (doh) have a strong sugary taste along with the sweetness. Stevia has it's own special aftertaste but doesn't have that heavy syrupy feel in the mouth. Besides did I mention how easy Stevia syrup is to make? Boil required amount of water in kettle then stir in Stevia, disdolves instantly. Cool in fridge before mixing with neutral spirit. make sure the syrup and neutral alcohol are similar temperatures otherwise you'll get a temporary dramatic milkiness happening. Try the Stevia first with a really strongly flavoured err flavour just in case you don't like the Stevia aftertaste, but we like it! Supposed to be 1/10th the calories (KJ) in stevia syrup than in sugar syrup - not sure if this means our waistines can afford us to consume 10 x more liqueurs?

• Does stevia extract in high proof spirits? Do you even need the water? What about macerating directly in the spirit?

• Nah, I used powdered stevia extract. In Australia, the Stevia plant (a weed) is prohibited invasive biosecurity matter. It is worth money in my bank account every fortnight to know such things, LOL