StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Congratulations to all the "Pro" operators that are taking or have taken the leap

Comments

• Yeah, but we all know you live on the edge.
    Pics please of you imploding the neighborhood, your shed and fragmenting your dog.

• Ok I sampled some of Sherwood Distillery's 3bees vodka. It is simply amazing. It is a distilled mead that has the most wonderfully sweat and floral nose. It has what I would call an exceptionally long finish for a vodka.

Davin says this is a sipping vodka and I agree that it is delightful by it's self. It is sweet and I am very curious to see what kind of mixology can be accomplished with this vodka since it does not need more sweet as such.

I think this is perfect for the ladies and I'm not to proud to invite myself to ladies night out with this wonderfully fragrant vodka.

Keep your eyes peeled for this one as it would be a wonderful addition to anyone's collection.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited April 2014

Congrats to Bill Candella for his Gold winning vodka at the recent ADI event.

Bill_Candella_1.jpg
    449 x 800 - 47K
    Bill_Candella_2.jpg
    449 x 800 - 42K

• Yes indeed, congrats, Bill! A gold medal gives good bragging rights - and rightly so.

• Awesome to see, what size boilers are those?

• edited April 2014

Bill is running a 200 and a 500. Though in this pic the 500 is not outfitted yet. Bills (product) demand is gaining traction so the 500 will be the new stripper while the 200 will settle in as the spirit still.

• edited April 2014

Congratulations to Scotty H. and the rest of the crew over at Thumb Butte Distillery in Prescott Arizona.

Can check their distillery progress here.

Also looking forward to some run data on this configuration,,,,,,,,,,as soon as it is completed.

Thumb Butte.jpg
    600 x 800 - 50K

• That's an interesting configuration @Smaug. What size are those tapered conical reducers?

• edited April 2014

@Philter said: That's an interesting configuration Smaug. What size are those tapered conical reducers?

There is an 8 x 4 and a 4 x 3

The manifolded condenser array is a pair of 3 x 20s

Not sure what Scotty used for that "boiler cap"? I think he had Bubba put those together for him?

• Thanks @Smaug. When you put them into perspective with the 8x4's they are huge!

You could turn them upside down and use 'em as fermenters...

• So DSP is 56 days in(expect 80-90 days), ironed out a few things over the phone today, my application package was assembled together by an expert for me to submit, but still having some issues that seem to go against the wording and expert opinion of the regulations, being polite and complying the best we can...

Framing done, plumbing inspected today, electrical inspection tomorrow, then drywall... and pour the sloped slab for the 'bonded area' that will be for distilling..

Our electrical panel has to be simple, I mean SIMPLE, for it to pass inspection as a built-on-site assembly and not need a $1500 UL inspection... (it may get automation added after we get occupancy, shhh!) so we are starting off with just wire in, supplementary breakers, and L6-30R receptacles...

Details, 3 elements being powered by a 50A 3-phase circuit in a delta config, and the 2 others each being powered by the 208V 'high leg' that is normally a wasted slot in a US 3-phase panel... electrician has to run the 8ga wire from the 50A breaker to the 30A breakers after this rough-in inspection... here (PDF) is the electrical schematic as built.

pdf
    pdf
    CDC Electrical.vsd.pdf
    1.jpg
    800 x 450 - 71K
    2.jpg
    450 x 800 - 53K
  • For the schematic, click the PDF above...

For 3-phase calculations, go to this page and use the "3-Phase Delta (Balanced Load)" section in the lower left, and 10.472725 for the Ohms of the element.. watlow.com/reference/tools/3phase.cfm

flip between phase current and line current and you see that each of the three legs has 40A, each element draws 22.91A

• I do the same thing here. I use 1 leg of 120 and 1 leg of 208v High leg for each of my elements. That way I can balance the load across all 3 legs. Gives me 220v to each element. Works like a charm. But only for simple resistance 220v requirements. Anything that would pull partial power from just 1 leg of a 220v breaker like displays and controls on your oven would go poof and let the magic smoke out....

• WOOOOOOO!

ponl@ttb.gov May 19 at 9:31 AM

Your Permits Online application tracking number 2014-DSPBI-00146-O has been Approved. Any applicable documents such as an approval letter, new permit, and/or approved copies of bonds and registrations are attached to this application. You are responsible to retrieve and either save or print copies of these documents for your files. To do this:

1) Log into Permits Online.
    2) Click Search Your Application.
    3) Click the tracking number.
    4) Click the arrow next to Supporting Documents and Attachments.
    5) Click on the file link to view, print and/or save the document.

Go to www.ttb.gov to view information that may assist you in meeting your regulatory responsibilities.This is a system generated email. DO NOT REPLY.

• edited May 2014

Congratulations, @CothermanDistilling! It's so great to follow your progress. Please keep us in the loop and post lots of pictures as you proceed, we all like to watch what's going on. :)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Oh, and our DSP number is DSP-FL-20019

• Congrats Mike. =D>

• Yippee, now you can start the hard work :))

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I bet we don't see as much of him over the next few days.

• Ha... in San Francisco for a work thing (Cisco Live), I will be in and out when I get back, still working on State License, and the formulas and labels system... The drywall is all up, waiting on concrete for distilling area to be poured and epoxy coated to do a cleaning run, I don't think the state cares if I do that without a license, I have the fed permit after all...

• Congratz on the DSP.

I skipped Cisco Live this year... I have manned the booth there for the last 5 years for my "Real Job" .

State might not care but the Fire Marshal will if he has not signed off on everything. Just keep that in mind.

• In SF as well for another event, too bad, wish I'd known, would have tried to meet up.

• if your trip is like mine, you have less than zero time, LOL...

• Our first public blurb, in the end of an article about Siesta Key/Drum Circle...

tha actual article is at Tampa Bay Times page 50/51 of the 6/13 edition

TBT article 20140613 (PDF)

pdf
    pdf
    TBT article 20140613.pdf
    1M
  • Got our state of Florida approval for a license yesterday, sent it in with a check for the half-year license fee of $2000...

• Ouch. We pay only $100 a year for a Craft Distillery Permit or $1000 for a plain Distillery permit here.

• Colorado State Distillers Permits: $1025 for a new application for a distillery permit $1025 for a new application for a distributor permit(self distribute capabilities) $1025 for a 1 year distillers permit $1025 for a 1 year distributor permit $50 for a CBI background check So $4150 for your first year and $2050 for every years renewal, we probably wouldn't have gotten a distributors permit had it not been for our location, we are basically in the middle of nowhere. The distributors I have been in contact with would rather have the entire front range and have me freight them booze by the pallet, leaving me to care for my SW corner of the state. Profit margins are much greater when you self distribute.

• yeah, $4k/year for 'DD' license to manufacture, and $6.50/proof-gallon, but FL just passed a law last july that allows us to sell 2 bottles per person per year through an attached, but not part of DSP 'gift shop' without going through a distributor. we are on a 60 mile long bike/walking trail with more than 1200 people a day on average passing by, and hopefully we will move forward(the original bill also had consumption on premises and higher quantities, but we are happy with what we got this time and hoping for more when we show value add to FL tourism...

• We started out being able to sell 2L per person per day Retail out of the Tasting Room. Then they bumped it up to 3L a day. As of June 11th we now have no limit to how much we can sell to single person per day out of the distillery Tasting Room.

Never was a limit on any Self Distribution to other businesses though.

• State license approved... :D

now all that is left is fire marshal and occupancy permit...