I have been thinking about using turbo clear in my whiskey mash, has any one ever used it?

I have seen it used in sugar wash, would it be recommended to use in a whiskey mash?

Comments

• not if you are using a decent yeast and have good fermentation practices.

remember to be patient. let the ferment finish, then let it sit - you will find it settles naturally. Feeling a bit impatient? crash cool it after fermentation ends to speed up the settling.

• edited May 2016

Always wondered why so many did this, when many of the worlds great whiskies were not produced in this manner.

I do realize that immersion elements change the dynamic, or making neutral.

• I think is more about keeping things neutral.

• @crozdog, My last two whiskey ferments pushed the grain loaf to the top of the Fermentor. I finished the ferment at 10 days with no action in the air lock. The mash produced 13% ABV. Are you saying all the grain will fall out to the bottom of the Fermentor?

• yep

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• yep. what was your recipe?

• @crozdog, My whiskey recipe for 5 gal. Mash

Whiskey.

• 5# Flaked Corn
    • 4# Rye Briess
    • 1# 2 Row Barley Briess
  • edited May 2016

Typically the cap will fall on it's own, but I like to occasionally punch down the cap to ensure that I have good "secondary" conversion during the whole ferment. It's possible that the cap could dry out and crust up so hard that it remained afloat - or wedged into a narrow fermenter, etc. As long as you can maintain a sanitary environment, don't be afraid to give the mash a stir or punch down the cap. This can be especially helpful in reducing the fermentation time if you are using a highly flocculant yeast.

• Exfuckulate, Exfuculate, quick ferment oh no. Exfuckulate.
    Shit the dalyexs are coming,

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 63K
  • Slabs down but clearly the shead is not up

• Can put multiple fermenters in service so that you always have something working off, something clearing, and something ready to run.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America