Advice on this Configuration?

So, I found out that changing out 8 inch plates by yourself 8 foot up on a ladder is just asking for trouble, so I figured I would try to copy some of the bigger setup designs.

Before I fire this thing up - I am a little concerned about the milk can under the second column once the reflux level gets above the vapor inlet. Anyone run a second column thumper configuration before? Anyone care to predict what will happen? If it will be too violent, I can move the inlet to the upper 2 inch ferrule of the milk can. It may take quite a few 45's to get it lined up, but it will go.

(Yes, there is a PRV on the kettle in case someone doesn't put the 3 way in the correct configuration.)

Kettle is running off 6 elements in case anyone is wondering. Will probably put an element in the milk can too so I can run off the excess reflux at the end of the run.

Thoughts?

Still with vodka column.jpg
600 x 800 - 66K

Comments

• In case you are wondering, the extra 8 inch plates are being used as a base under the condenser/parrot - which is basically a 8 inch super defleg, a spacer, then an 8 inch condenser, a 2 inch valve with a T to direct flow into the parrot. Ideally, another milk can would be under the condenser setup as a collection reservoir if I had one. The "base" currently could act as a container if the 2 inch valve is open, but it will be pretty difficult to get anything out of it since it currently doesn't have any outlet valves.

• Thats not really a thumper set up.

You'll just need to find a way to manage column bottoms. Also, I think I would insulate the milk can.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I would have raised pipework and the column with milk can. This will allow you by gravity to run back to the kettle for condensed vapour.

• Regarding safety pressure release valve, what would be the recommended set release pressure.

It could be argued that this is dependant on the equipment design construction but none the less for distilling plant there must be a typical recommendation that one adheres to. I am thinking towards my 380L system build that will start towards the end of this year.

• edited May 2016

This won't work.

If you are running the side-mount column at high enough reflux (which I assume you are going for neutral) - that milk can will fill up entirely, probably in the first hour. You need to return the reflux to the main still boiler - which is going to require an overflow pipe from the milk can into the boiler. The overflow will need to be higher than the maximum contents of the still boiler - or it you'll end up filling the milk can with wash.

It may work inefficiently if you run the side column at a very low reflux rate, and remember to drain the side column bottom and add it to the next run - otherwise you'll be wasting quite a bit of alcohol.

Raise the milk can by about a foot, and add a gravity overflow back to the boiler - the overflow pipe will need to either have a trap or have the end submerged so that you don't get vapor bypass.

Looks pretty good though.

• Looks like if you add an SD side column base to the top of your milk can, you will have enough elevation to return bottoms to the kettle.

Then you could use the milk can as your product collection vessel as well as side column stand.

• The other issue is .... you have 8" on the boiler and then drop to 4" on the column. I do not think that the 4" column will be able to handle the vapor condensing capacity.

• edited May 2016

Would absolutely maximize the plates in the main column, and run that at very high reflux - then run the smaller 4" column at lower reflux ratio - meaning you run the side column at a lower separation efficiency - trading proof for speed.

But I agree, a low wines run on this rig would be a very long day ... and a half. And you need to juggle running two dephlegmators at very different rates.

Thought it was like 6" 4" or 8" 6" (the picture is small) - didn't realize this was 8"/4".

• edited May 2016

This is my concept build project which will start towards year end.

8" columns, 3+10. Trying to max all requirements out of a pot still.

pot 900_380 H-Model.jpg
    800 x 561 - 28K
  • I ran 8 4" on top of 6 8", and it worked better than the 8" alone, but obviously not as good as all 8" plates...

ALL HAIL MODULARITY!

• I figured the 4's would work after the 8's if I ran a high enough reflux on the 8's - as Cotherman did in his set up, which although stacked instead of side by side is a similar concept. I have another 2 foot of head space, so raising up the can isn't out of the question.

Couldn't find the SD side column base on the website...

• Yes it'll work. Just need to apply the correct amount of heat to the kettle charge

• Definitely modular madness .. Like the song says "push it, push it real good".