Building a Shed / Garage

Hey All

Currently in the process of buying some land that I will be building a house on, the house plan I have sorted but I want to build a shed/garage at the back of the section as well.

Plan is as per below so was after some feedback and advice

• 9x9x4.2M (L,W,H) 15degree roof pitch
  • 3 Roller doors (center one will be tall)
  • Insulated
  • Skylights
  • Solar hot water
  • 5000L water tank
  • 3 phase
  • Water and gas
  • Drainage in the center of the floor
  • Back wall will have a 3m work bench that also goes 2M down the left hand wall with storage underneath then will have a space for a 200L boiler, next to that will be a sink and then next to that a potbelly for those cold nights

The far right hand bay will have a mezz floor with the stairs at the back, under the stairs will be a shower and toilet

Under the mez on the far right wall will be storage, I am considering caging off part of under the mez for spirit storage the mez floor will only be 6m long and 3M wide (will probably park the car trailer at the front of that bay

The middle bay will have a car hoist at the front

Left hand side will have a glass sliding door and windows along it

In front of the garage will be a 9m wide by 6M long concrete pad

Please note the house will have a double garage as well

So I have space for the car trailler, my track car, the tow car, a couple of motorbikes and maybe a project car

The garage on the house will hold the daily.

Have I missed anything?

Thinking about carpet squares for the floor and I will carpet the mez (I want to set it up originally as a living area)

Potentially I could live in the garage while the house gets built if I needed to.

My GF said I would have to get her some more cooking items (personally I would be ok cooking on the fire haha)

Thoughts?

(I still need to buy a 200L boiler haha but leaving space for one :p)

I have a couple of quotes already so just making sure I included everything

Cheers
All :)

Tagged:

Comments

• @Clickeral said: Have I missed anything?

Coolroom?

• edited May 2016

@jacksonbrown said: Coolroom?

For temp controlled ferments?

Thats an awsome idea :) how big do you think I would need? Could probably put it under the mez

I was thinking a big chest freezer for meat and hops, and then a big fridge for temp control but I like your thinking

• I guess depends on what you want to do with it. Mine would be about the size of a small WIR and go up to 20°. Just a Bondor box with mitered edges and an internal frame in it for hanging stuff. Hosing it out to the drain would be nice too. Mine would be for hanging meat. I do ferments in fridges with the STC's.
    If you have a lot of trees around I'd go a steeper roof pitch too, and some quality gutter guarding. I hate cleaning gutters.

• No trees on or around the block atm

Ill be planting fruit trees but they wont get to be taller then the garage

Wir size sounds good hmm food for thought thank you :) I like the idea of a mobile one as well so may have to look into it haha

I would like to get back into hunting so would get used :p

• edited May 2016

Coolroom would definately get used. I installed a few things i wouldn't be without, one is hot water from the solar hot water system. I've hooked in before the temper valve with a tee (legal so long as it's not to the kitchen or bathroom) so i get strike temp water or better from the tap for free.
    I also put in a floor sump style drain/wash bay;

It's simple to do at the planning stage but difficult to add later.

The filters were for cutting water. I've since moved to deionosed water for cutting so they don't get maintained or used anymore.

Another great addition was the overhead gantry. It's just a piece of 6" beam welded up there and a bought carriage. I'm pretty sure the carriage was under $200. The door is an old tilt a door i scrounged but i put it on hinges when i built the shed. The gantry is very handy as i can back the ute under it, lift drums off and just swing them into the shed.

Also all windows and doors are barred, the big door from inside with a 125 x 75 RHS, the man door from outside and the windows from inside with welded bars.
    The caravan window in the front is lexan so no need to bar it.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 113K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 88K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 68K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 66K
    5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K
    6.jpg
    800 x 600 - 74K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited May 2016

+1 on the wash bay. Breweries and distilleries use a lot of wash water. It's nice not to have to work with wet feet all of the time. (long term wearing of rubber boots sucks too)

I think I'd install my water filter housings a little closer to the ground though. Overhead is a guarantee you'll be getting wet.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• I did a trench drain in the center of the floor, but also had half the floor ever so slightly slanted to the garage door.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...